LegacyGT.com

Gas smell and low power

Hi guys,

Picked up a 2005 Legacy GT with a bunch of aftermarket additions. I didn't seem to notice during the test drive, but now I definitely smell gas when stopped. The car is surging while in boost and is difficult to drive smoothly with high throttle input. My fuel mileage is crap, like 18 mpg while reading 36 on the estimator. Fuel lines are old and cracking. I am thinking this is the culprit. Any other ideas if swapping out the fuel lines doesn't work?

When you say aftermarket add-ons, does that mean an aftermarket tune? This could be a case of a bad tune running way too rich.

Several other possible trouble spots.

Fuel pump assembly can crack at the flange where it mounts to the top of the fuel tank. In this case, you would usually notice more fuel smell when the tank is between 3/4 and full. Requires fuel pump assembly replacement.

Rubber fuel lines under the hood develop leaks. This has been seen more in cars that are in colder climates. Fuel lines are hard to inspect without removing the intercooler.

Fuel filler pipe has been known to rust and develop leaks.

Suggest you inspect fuel pump and tank. You may want to test your fuel pressure to see if there is an issue with pump or fuel pressure regulator. You can rent a gauge kit for this if you want to DIY.

Get a copy of our vacation pix.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/vacation-pix-171435.html

Not sure if it was ever tuned. Has FMIC, BOV, aftermarket wastegate, Garrett 60mm turbo.

The fuel lines in the engine bay were all cracked up so I replaced them, but most of the problems are persisting. Maybe less fuel smell and more rich exhaust smell now.

I noticed that the evap line coming into the engine bay is not connected to anything! Wondering if that is an aftermarket modification of some kind or just a mistake.

I'll take a look at the fuel pump and pressure.

Fuel pump assembly can crack at the flange where it mounts to the top of the fuel tank. In this case, you would usually notice more fuel smell when the tank is between 3/4 and full. Requires fuel pump assembly replacement.

Do you know if this would cause smell inside the cabin? Or more of a leaking smell outside?

Just checked gas mileage. Got 20 mpg with spirited trip vs 19 very conservative after replacing the fuel lines, so maybe that was half the problem.

Do you know if this would cause smell inside the cabin? Or more of a leaking smell outside?

Just checked gas mileage. Got 20 mpg with spirited trip vs 19 very conservative after replacing the fuel lines, so maybe that was half the problem.

Stock is 25 mpg roughly on the highway, maybe 18-20 around town depending. Your car must have been tuned with all those mods. Some tunes do run very rich as a kind of safeguard because going too lean can cause detonation. But this can be taken too far and that is not really healthy for the engine, either.

The fuel pump assembly cracking can cause a smell that you would notice in the cabin. You can inspect this by removing the rear seat. On the passenger side under the seat is a metal plate that can be removed to access the fuel pump area on top of the tank. If this is part of your issue, the smell will become much worse when the tank is filled. It is possible you would have rust causing fuel tank leaks at the filler tube or elsewhere. In this case, you should be able to see some fuel leaking under the car.

Does the gas smell happen more during cold and goes away after the car is warmed up? If so, it would be one of the fuel line clamps under the intake manifold. It's fairly common with these. Mine happens more often during the cold momths.
My wife's balls are delicious.

Stock is 25 mpg roughly on the highway, maybe 18-20 around town depending. Your car must have been tuned with all those mods. Some tunes do run very rich as a kind of safeguard because going too lean can cause detonation. But this can be taken too far and that is not really healthy for the engine, either.

The fuel pump assembly cracking can cause a smell that you would notice in the cabin. You can inspect this by removing the rear seat. On the passenger side under the seat is a metal plate that can be removed to access the fuel pump area on top of the tank. If this is part of your issue, the smell will become much worse when the tank is filled. It is possible you would have rust causing fuel tank leaks at the filler tube or elsewhere. In this case, you should be able to see some fuel leaking under the car.

OK good to know that the mpg is close to range. The estimator keeps telling me 36 so I thought I was going crazy!

And I don't smell anything when the windows are up or the air is set to recirculate. I am thinking it could be a rich / bad tune, as the smell is really just coming the from the engine and exhaust when the car is running.

Does the gas smell happen more during cold and goes away after the car is warmed up? If so, it would be one of the fuel line clamps under the intake manifold. It's fairly common with these. Mine happens more often during the cold momths.

Nope just all the time when running!

Here is the old fuel line. Replacing it didn't fix the issue.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6wXVt_8gxnWRjdUTmJBLTcyZ3hrOFcwbVV5YkFBUG5fOC1Z/view?usp=sharing

This blue line is disconnected and comes from the rear of the car. I think it is the evap line.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6wXVt_8gxnWYzJtUnA4OXNReEpOSkRHVUZIbWU5TEJHa3Bz/view?usp=sharing

So I am swapping the spark plugs today. I found NGK ILFR6AIX-11 plugs in there! They were gaped to 0.045 also which is way higher than stock 0.030. Any idea why someone would be running different plugs with a larger gap? Any turbo reasoning? Everything I am reading says the gap should be smaller for turbos.

...Any idea why someone would be running different plugs with a larger gap?...
People seem to get information for the NA and turbo engines confused. The NA engines do have a different plug with a 0.44 spark plug gap, IIRC.

OK with the correct plugs the stuttering issue went away. I think I was experiencing Spark Blow Out. Running much better now. Still has a gas smell when running but I am thinking that might be the tune as suggested above.

Thanks for the help all, I'll post again when I get a tune.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived