LegacyGT.com

LGT Wagon - Help on wheels -

I'm going to get a separate set of winter wheels and tires. Ideally, I'd like a narrower and higher profile tire than stock. I am definitely not an expert on tire sizes and wheel dimensions, but I believe the stock size is 215/45/17.

Would 205/55/16 be a logical choice to have a narrower and higher profile tire that I could mount on a separate set of wheels without worry about fit?

Thanks in advance -

Kent

('05 GT Wagon, 3500mi)

The wheel diameter shouldn't make any difference in itself, but I have read the 17s are needed to clear the brakes, so why not stick with a 17"? i bought 205/50-17 Nokian RSi tires for winter. No reviews yet....hasn't snowed yet and they are still in the basement....mounted on stock wheels.

+1

That size seemed to be the most logical considering the LGT can't go down to 16's or smaller. They worked great for me last year.

+2

Mine just arrived today on inexpensive alloy rims sporting Hankook Icebear W300 tires in size 205/50-17. Inexpensive V-rated snow tires -- we'll see how they perform. They'll be sitting in my shed for another month or so before I swap the stock rims and tires out (very rarely does snow come before December down here).

Thanks all. I see that I'm going with 205/50/17 tires on 17" wheels based on your posts. Next concern is what wheels to get. My last car with low-profile tires had the stock wheels bend when hitting potholes, and I had to get them restraightened at $150 a pop. It was a very heavy sedan, however, and I'm hoping I don't have too much trouble with that in this car. I'm willing to forego looks and fancy wheels for the winter and get the most solid wheel out there.

What were the inexpensve alloy rims you got, RuhRoh?

Thanks in advance,

Kent ('05 GT Wagon, 3500mi)

Thanks all. I see that I'm going with 205/50/17 tires on 17" wheels based on your posts. Next concern is what wheels to get. My last car with low-profile tires had the stock wheels bend when hitting potholes, and I had to get them restraightened at $150 a pop. It was a very heavy sedan, however, and I'm hoping I don't have too much trouble with that in this car. I'm willing to forego looks and fancy wheels for the winter and get the most solid wheel out there.

What were the inexpensve alloy rims you got, RuhRoh?

Thanks in advance,

Kent ('05 GT Wagon, 3500mi)

The strength and quality of low-end alloys is always a bit of a risk. I purchased MB Motorsport Blast wheels from Discount Tire Direct (http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/findWheelDetail.do?mk=&yr=2005&wd=17&pc=53672&rw=7.5&bp=5-100&vid=009190) and coupled them with 205/50-17 tires -- slightly narrower with a slightly taller sidewall than stock. I'm hoping the extra sidewall might provide a bit of extra protection for the rims, but we'll see.

TireRack has even less expensive rims that fit the GT (about $30 per rim less) but the savings I realized with the tires were greater at Discount Tire Direct.

Archived