LegacyGT.com

2008 LGT turbo and engine reliability?

NaseemT

Hello all. I am looking to get a legacy GT around '07 or '08. I wanted to get input as far as the reliability of these cars and their turbos/engines. I am looking for used one in my price range and they are around 115-140k miles. Any responses would help.

Thanks.

PS, here is an add for one i was looking at: https://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/cto/d/2008-subaru-legacy-gt-limited/6346291090.html

Looks decent enough and I believe 08 didn't have the problematic banjo bolts. At any rate no matter what I would have a good shop look it over top to bottom. Including leakdown and compression testing the engine. It will cost you, but not nearly as much as a new turbo or engine. Otherwise happy hunting.

Get a clean tune at stock power levels and it will last a very long time. The more power you want the less life the engine will give. Higher performance means higher maintenance and more wear and tear.

100% behind what FLlegacy has to say. i'd not buy a turbo subie without AT LEAST a compression and leakdown test done on the engine. will probably cost $200, but will possibly save you $5k+.

07+ has a banjo bolt that is vertical, vs. the previosuly horizontal banjo bolt. this allows junk to slide out of the filter and back into the galley when the car is off, which helps keep it from clogging and providing insufficient flow, but isn't a free ride. i also don't consider removing the filter altogether as a solution though (as most do).

from there, i think it's all fairly normal stuff to look for, like is the maintenance done that should be (big hitter being the timing belt, clutch, etc.).

good luck and feel free to ask anymore questions, and post up when you make a purchase and become part of the clan!

* Build Thread * 26.53 MPG - 12 month Average *

I baught my lgt with 65k, now 85k. I've only had to do a wheel bearing and regular maintenance. It was dealer maintened and shows. I did plugs at 70k preventative and noticed a few little hiccups when under boost.

Overall, the engine has been really reliable. However, I'm not sure what normal oil consumption is, I want to look into it. Seems like it's lower between changes, but overall for a car with 85k it's pretty quiet, solid, and reliable

Archived