LegacyGT.com

1996 Subaru Legacy LSi.

All tires are new and matching. AWD works like a peach. Also removed MAF screen to increase airflow. The 22D ran more harmonious than ever recorded on any ECU graph I have had before. Look at the highest values of the STFT and LTFT. She might have run lean, but the MPG rose to about 31mpg at 71mpg and torque was EVERYWHERE on the low end of the rpm where the ECU usually runs rich. I am running a stock MAF sensor now, but will descreen my next one for sure. The drivebility in the city was too much for me to let go.

Fuel trims:

9NXOwZk.png

JROhON8.png

ECU graph:

uWNcTOL.png

VjQQdyc.png

3Ab5fKP.png

yUNzyOj.png

3BRCC1O.png

zJORsj7.png

SqKpLpC.png

ypLY3XX.png

84gLxNi.png

y4jid5w.png

Needless to say, removing the MAF screen was probably one of the better things I have done before resetting the ECU. I also have a Z32 MAF in my trunk for which I have to retrofit a two way connector to plug it up without destroying my own connector. As soon as I have time, I will undergo that experiment.

Esperanza Log: Z32 MAF adaptation worked up to a point. I managed to create the double ended connector for the Z32 MAF, plugged it in, and even got the car running and idling on it. However, when it came to actual driving, the ECU capped me out at 3k rpm, running as rich as possible, as it numerically read more air coming in than there actually was. In failing to get it to work with the stock ECU, I succeeded in obtaining data for anyone wishing to adapt it for use on the stock harness so they can follow up with a piggyback or a standalone (this is how to make a double ended wire connector):

Subaru Yellow + Nissan Fat White Wire = 12v.

Subaru Blacks + Nissan Blacks = Grounds.

Subaru Thin White + Nissan Thin White = 5v.

You WILL want to break a male end out of a Subaru MAF sensor to have the male end you need to complete this connector.

Nissan Z32 MAF sensors are called "N62" and Subaru MAF sensors for N/A cars are called "RA0."

Esperanza Log: Restored stock MAF sensor a few days ago and removed its screen and now my LTFT is at 18.9%. Didn't think the MAF screen removal would do all that much, but the ECU has bumped up fueling to match the extra air coming in. There is clearly more torque across the entire rpm range. I will hold off on the intake mods and increase fuel mods. Once I finish fueling and intake mods, a Greddy Emanage Ultimate is next to reel everything in.

• 2 months later...

Update: I constructed an intake for smoother flow and that brought the LTFT down to it's regular numbers. It drove normally and nothing nearly as rich as what the ECU was commanding.

However, the 22D failed in December of 2017 when the timing belt tensioner lost hydraulic pressure, taking the valves with it. This coming Thursday, I pick up an EJ20D from New Jersey and after which, I will build the final draft EJ22D that will be installed. I will also include detailed pictures from the rebuild.

Archived