LegacyGT.com

2018 Limited Head Unit Problem

Ok, so I have a 2018 3.6r Limited and have a number of issues with the head unit.

First instance (Occurred twice) when starting the car the screen was scrambled the radio would play then the system would reboot and return to normal.

Second instance the head unit started as responsive then would not allow any adjustments to the station I was on but I could access all the other functions.

Most recently, I started the car, set the GPS and made a phone call via blue tooth. The gps functioned but the screen was locked. I could not access any functions at all. Radio was stuck on one channel and volume could not be set. Additionally, the map did not move but turn by turn directions kept coming.

I connected to the unit to wifi and did a check for a system update, turns out there are none. I was was going to reset the unit to factory default and see if that helps.

Any suggestions or should I just bring this to the dealer and see what they say which may be 'cannot duplication customer complaint'

Thanks!

My '17 had very similar issues so I took videos of it locked up and not responding to any button or touch and showed the service manager in case they could not duplicate the issue. Dealer did a reset and told me that if happens again, take another video and they would replace it under warranty. Going on a month without any more issue, so far the reset has worked.

Same thing here. I will reset the unit and see if that helps.

If it is not too much of an inconvenience, I would take it to the dealer so the issue is documented and have them reset it. This will help your case if it continues to be an issue over time.

Does the 2018 have the new Car Play head unit? If so, there is an update for the Harmon Kardon system to fix all of these issues. Same unit in my Son's 2017 Impreza Limited. The dealers have the updates on USB...they can NOT be updated via wifi yet.

Just checked mine and the latest version of the head unit software is Rel2.17.22.20

You can check the current version through your settings but this update just came out a few months ago. A USB update that took about 15-20 minutes to do at the dealer.

Does the 2018 have the new Car Play head unit? If so, there is an update for the Harmon Kardon system to fix all of these issues. Same unit in my Son's 2017 Impreza Limited. The dealers have the updates on USB...they can NOT be updated via wifi yet.

Just checked mine and the latest version of the head unit software is Rel2.17.22.20

You can check the current version through your settings but this update just came out a few months ago. A USB update that took about 15-20 minutes to do at the dealer.

Yes I checked for updates but the head unit on my car has the latest software.

Yes, I double checked in system information in the settings / general section of the software. Thanks though. I realized yesterday that you can connect the unit to wifi and check for software updates as well. So I did that and it confirmed that there are no newer versions available.

Subieman...yes, you can connect to WiFi but it really doesn’t check anything. It will say there is nothing because that feature is not yet activated by Subaru. Therefore, that method is not a measure if any updates are truly available. Just making sure you understand that the WiFi is a future feature!

I used to go to Subaru.net...download the updates and install them myself. Now Subaru has shut down everyone's access so I just have the dealer search for updates and do them at my oil change intervals. They are very cool and actually let me back in the shop and watch the tech do them and chat about the cars.

The factory reset seems to have done the trick. Thanks for the help. And I did confirm with SOA "The update download function is not currently used and is for future functionality." Nevertheless, I will ask the dealer to check to see if any Head Unit updates are available at the first service.

• 2 months later...

Does anyone's preset page change or not when you change to a preset that's not on the current page? Like if you do it from the steering wheel controls and presets 1-6 are showing and you went to the 7th preset.

I had 4 GM vehicles before the Legacy and every radio would change the preset page if the preset I chose wasn't on the current one. Didn't know if it was Subaru thing or not.

Only other thing that I dislike is if you are on a call, I cannot change the information display between the speedometer and tach. I would rather have the digital MPH than the phone call info.

Had my first major HU malfunction on my 7 week old 3.6R yesterday. Backing out of a parking spot, it beeped from pedestrian at side rear...and locked up tight.

Display was a constant still screenshot from back up cam. Could not access home page, apps, radio, maps, etc. Restarted car and it started exactly the same with display, radio would not turn off, change volume or change station as well. No touch response at all.

It was late and cold out. Finally gave up deciding to go by dealer this morning if it stayed. However after an overnight sitting, it came back normal today.

Any idea how many hours it needs to reset? Is this a dealer force reset only or did I miss something driver controlled in the manual?

Had my first major HU malfunction on my 7 week old 3.6R yesterday. Backing out of a parking spot, it beeped from pedestrian at side rear...and locked up tight.

Display was a constant still screenshot from back up cam. Could not access home page, apps, radio, maps, etc. Restarted car and it started exactly the same with display, radio would not turn off, change volume or change station as well. No touch response at all.

3-5 minutes with the car off and the keyfob out of proximity range. The HU goes to "sleep" when you shut the car off and then a few minutes later it shuts down.

3-5 minutes with the car off and the keyfob out of proximity range. The HU goes to "sleep" when you shut the car off and then a few minutes later it shuts down.

Ah...the keyfob not fully out of proximity range is what I was missing. Had shut the car off as well as getting out of car.

I had the update done, but still having an issues with the presets 1-4 reverting back to initializing SXM when I set the presets to a channel. The channel will hold for about a day and then back to initializing. Dealership is working with SOA to come up with a fix, but they have nothing as of today. The SA did show me about 15-20 pages of documented issues with the Harmon Kardon HU. So Subaru is aware and is working with Harmon Kardon.

Time will tell I guess

Archived