LegacyGT.com

Manual ECU flash with auto program - What to worry about?

So, my EJ20Y-swapped Outback has everything going for it aside from actually cranking at all. I got a front clip and have already installed the JDM BIU and ignition cylinder, but used an EJ20X ECU since I kept my 5EAT. I've been fighting ignition gremlins, and realized that the major problem is probably that I didn't use the 2008 EJ20Y (manual) ECU, which means the key/BIU immo doesn't match the ECU.

Is the solution that I need to swap in the manual ECU and flash an auto tune to it? I'd copy and save the normal manual tune and then I'd flash the XRT stg1 file I have, this way the major parts of the immo would be happy. Would I have to deal with any of the ECU swap grounding , or would it be fine because of the automatic harness and flashtune?

http://www.enhancedstreetperformance.com/

See if you can contact Dave Brady there, he was one of the first to swap a manual into a automatic car. He may be some help.

There is another thread in the Tech Forum some where, may be a sticky when some figured out more issues too.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

That's the catch, this isn't a manual-swap car, I'm asking specifically if a manual ECU can work fine for the 5EAT if I flashed an automatic tune to it.

I know that there is an ECU grounding issue you need to take care of when swapping from an auto to a manual, I wasn't sure if using a manual ECU with an auto tune (with an automatic car and harness) would cause its own set of issues.

From the little I've read on that, I don't think the 5mt ECU will be able to read the 5eat program. It's looking for different info that the 5eat program doesn't have.

I'll keep looking for a few too see what I can find.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

found it...but I see you've already been there.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/another-5eat-6mt-5mt-swap-questions-05-lgt-thread-132374p7.html

There may be members there you can PM.

So, I swapped the manual ECU in, but since its either a) incompatible with my CAN-lite setup (2007+ got "full" CAN), or b) already flashed, I cannot get ECUFlash to read it. I've tried every setting, with and without the green plugs connected. My 2005 EJ20X ECU was also a pain, but Ed at XRT helped me get it to read/write with the 2004 STi setting, so that definitely works.

My options were to compare and maybe modify wiring between the ECU and ODB port, do surgery and swap the soldiered EEPROMs for the immo, or just put it the Outback stuff back in and pay for keys to be programmed. At this point I'll skip the Frankensteining and just pay for the damn keys, too many variables otherwise. I definitely don't want to do wiring if it won't help, since I get nothing when I try cranking the car its gotta be the immo, and at least I know the auto ECU works.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived