LegacyGT.com

Second question regarding purchase of a Legacy

Kmvd

I was looking on the web for information regarding the differences between the 4 and 6 cylinder engines and ran across this website:

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/automotive/subaru.html

Sites like this will only be full of people with quality issues, given the nature of the site to begin with, but overall, how reliable has your Legacy been? I've never owned a Subaru. I currently have a Miata, my first Mazda, and am looking to get out of it because the seat is killing by lower back. I have only 110,000 miles on it, having purchased it new, and the only issue with it has been one headlamp on the curbside burns out at 50,000 mile intervals, and the dye in the faux leather bolster where I drag against it getting in and out has worn somewhat more prematurely than I thought it would.

At 100,000 I shouldn't have much of any issues beyond initial build small things, and on this car I had no issues. I've not looked for any other manufacturer on the consumer affairs website, and I suspect all manufacturers are represented. So, help me with your thoughts on reliability of Subarus. Do you have a 4 or a 6, and what has been your experiences?

Thanks.

Kurt

I was looking on the web for information regarding the differences between the 4 and 6 cylinder engines and ran across this website:

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/automotive/subaru.html

Sites like this will only be full of people with quality issues, given the nature of the site to begin with, but overall, how reliable has your Legacy been? I've never owned a Subaru. I currently have a Miata, my first Mazda, and am looking to get out of it because the seat is killing by lower back. I have only 110,000 miles on it, having purchased it new, and the only issue with it has been one headlamp on the curbside burns out at 50,000 mile intervals, and the dye in the faux deather bolster where I drag against it getting in and out has worn somewhat more prematurely than I thought it would.

At 100,000 I shouldn't have much of any issues beyond initial build small things, and on this car I had no issues. I've not looked for any other manufacturer on the consumer affairs website, and I suspect all manufacturers are represented. So, help me with your thoughts on reliability of Subarus. Do you have a 4 or a 6, and what has been your experiences?

Thanks.

Kurt

Research a website before using it as a truth.

My response:

https://www.truthinadvertising.org/consumer-affairs-com/

Laughing at Oneself and with Others is Good for the Soul [emoji847]

Note: I own both and I still highly pleased.

Laughing at Oneself and with Other is good for the Soul😆

Um, sorry Rowlette, I wasn't making a case for the website so much as saying I ran across it and the opinions it contained, which is why I then asked the question regarding reliability of Subaru's.

moving forward, what has been your experience, or other's experience with Subaru's reliability in the long term?

Because of the long term reliability and the longevity of the Subaru is one of the reason I felt they were a good bet. The main reason was Eyesight and the safety ratings, next was AWD. Where I live 50+ inches of rain during the rainy season and need AWD/ 4WD when in the mountains.

Laughing at Oneself and with Others is Good for the Soul[emoji16]

In my opinion the EZ36D in the 3.6 is bulletproof. I would personally rather have that than a 2.0 turbo. I also feel the 3.6 runs at a lower rpm generally speaking which means less wear and tear.

If my 2.5 is hitting 4K accelerating on the highway, that’s probably double the wear and tear compared to if I was using the 3.6 at 2k for acceleration. Speculative.

I truly hope to purchase a 2019 Legacy 3.6 next year before I think they will get phased out for a turbo variant. Nothing wrong with the 2.5 but I want the power of the 6. And I would probably go 2.5 over a 2.0 turbo.

Because of the long term reliability and the longevity of the Subaru is one of the reason I felt they were a good bet. The main reason was Eyesight and the safety ratings, next was AWD. Where I live 50+ inches of rain during the rainy season and need AWD/ 4WD when in the mountains.

Mountains in Florida? Mount palatka? :lol:

I also like the AWD first but am using the EyeSight as a reason to convince the Mrs. for an upgrade. She thinks I’m a little too aggressive and the ACC would help with that. Maybe. If I use it. :)

The ACC (Auto Cruise Control) is great for what it's designed to do. I was surprised by the distance that it considered to be two car lengths, felt much more like four. It's wonderful for long easy drives. We sampled a 2017 Outback Touring with the 4 cylinder for a week.

We have two non-turbo Subarus, and one turbo. They last because they are relatively easy to maintain, but possibly more so because there is a strong Subaru community in forums such as this where one can find a lot of documentation for maintenance procedures. (Less so after photobucket).

For reliability, I am confident about Subaru's direction. They put proven technologies in their vehicles. Subaru's safety and brand loyalty also go hand-in-hand. Many people who walk away from accidents while in a Subaru often go right back to get another. (Not discounting the fact that many other manufacturers may build safe cars these days)

Where are you located? Some would say the benefits of a Subaru are better felt in an often snowy/inclement weather area.

Also, there are Subaru Ambassadors all over the US (assuming you're in the US) who would be happy to fill you in on any region-specific questions (dealerships, etc) you might have. They are all volunteers, and can generally get you whatever information you might need, (including a personalized discount coupon if you don't already have one).

Also, check out cars101.com. One of my favorite resources for all things Subaru.

I live in the Dallas, TX, area. Little bit of snow thru the winter, more ice. I was considering the Subi mostly because it's different. Don't see too many around here. If you do it's usually an outback. Only see a couple Legacys. We went to McKinney Subaru. I may need to look at used since the wife is now retired. I do a lot of in town(though highway) driving, plus inescapable stop and go, usually in the evenings.

Also, there are Subaru Ambassadors all over the US (assuming you're in the US) who would be happy to fill you in on any region-specific questions (dealerships, etc) you might have. They are all volunteers, and can generally get you whatever information you might need, (including a personalized discount coupon if you don't already have one).

Also, check out cars101.com. One of my favorite resources for all things Subaru.

Where does one run into these Ambassadors? I was told they are often at Subaru events, but there have been no "events" from what I can tell checking local dealer web sites.

Where does one run into these Ambassadors? I was told they are often at Subaru events, but there have been no "events" from what I can tell checking local dealer web sites.
The events are from a festival, animal rescue, mall to a parking lot any place where someone shows an interest with your Subaru.

Archived