LegacyGT.com

Sold Legacy 3.6

I don't know where to post this but I can say with great pleasure I am no longer a Subaru owner. I sold my Legacy 3.6. I don't know about all the other 3.6 owners on here but my car was constant problems from day one. it seemed to be at the Subaru dealer for problems more than it was in my driveway.

This was my first and definitely the last Subaru I will ever own. Mods can delete this account.

^ Maybe invoking the lemon vehicle law was the way to go. Every manufacturer makes a bad batch once in a while. My worse car was a BMW. Same as you, couldn't wait to unload it. It was a lease though, so getting out was just a matter of waiting.

What'd you get btw?

I went back to Audi. The A6 3.0T. I have always had Audi's and Cadillac's and never had any problems with them. I figured I would get the Subaru because its much cheaper and repairs would cost less. Although I usually sell a car before the warranty is up.

It's funny, I had a 2001 A6 BiTurbo. Dealer maintained, 100% garaged, and even had about $6000 worth of preventative maintenance done right before I bought it from a trusted family member. The car was beautiful.

But in the following year that I owned the car, I had nothing but problems with the car. MAJOR oil leaks, to the point of oil dripping onto the exhaust and blue smoke coming in the vents of the cabin! Weird electrical issues, like the battery going dead, spending hours with my ammeter pulling EVERY fuse to try and find the source, a bad electric aux cooling fan which required $2000 in labor to remove the front of the car to replace.... the list goes on and on. Oh, and the car had only just hit 100,000 miles....

My previous car was a 1991 Honda Prelude that I had for over 17 years (and actually bought used) and sold it with 199,000 on it. Never a check engine light. Never got stuck on the side of the road. Nothing. And I maintained the car myself.

So far my 2013 Legacy 2.5 with 87,000 on it has been good, other than the short block replacement for the oil consumption. But in perspective, it was apparently in the 1% of units sold.

Some cars have more issues than others. I guess that's life. According to Consumer Reports, Audi's reliability has gone from almost last 15 years ago, to near the top. (and Subaru's score has dropped a few notches). Unfortunately I don't think I'll ever buy another used Audi (even from a family member that was the orig. owner).

Good luck in the future with whatever cars you have.

Its really a shame. Aside from the awful air conditioning that never really got cold, the Legacy was a really comfortable well built car. The 3.6 engine to me, really wasn't a performance engine. It wasn't a fast car but it had enough power to slighty have the edge over your typical family car. It sounded great with the Nameless 5” axle back and handled well with the BF Goodrich G Force Comp tires and the 24mm Whiteline rear sway bar. I usually buy all my cars new but i bought the Legacy used because i did not want a cvt transmission.

My brother in law had a 2011 stock STI. It wasn't his every day car so he didn't talk about it much. It was after I bought the Legacy that he started complaining about all the problems with his car and told me i made a mistake getting a Subaru. 2 engines, many differential problems and a few other problems on his STI and it was all covered under warranty.

My wife liked my car at first and went out and bought a new 2017 2.5 Outback Limited for her daily driver. That too has been back to the dealer quite a few times for the radio and navigation freezing up. They finally replaced the unit and so far no problems. The windshield washer fluid reservoir kept leaking and finally they took one out of another new Outback on the lot to replace hers. She uses her M3 more than the Outback now.

So far it has not been a pleasant experience with any Subaru for my family. I have had Cadillacs since 1992 and the only problem i have ever had was on an Eldorado when the sunroof wouldn't close. That was covered under warranty. I have always had an Audi A8 since 2007 and never had any problems with that or any other Audi I have owned.

We tried the Subaru thing and sadly it didn't go well for us. I don't know if these are common problems or just isolated problems on our cars but a car should not be at the dealer service about once a month, especially when i have to pay a $100 deductible for every claim under the extended warranty.

I purchased my 3.6R with 70k, one owner and some service records. Car gave me 40k trouble free miles. I experienced some Oil Consumption that honestly I felt was the Oil I was using. Car ran perfectly fine all the way up to the point they replaced the shortblock. All under warranty. Apparently car was low on compression and was leaking slightly internally. As I said the car ran perfectly fine, and I've taken it up to 130mph numerous times. If it wasn't for Subaru telling me it needed a replacement I would've never thought anything was wrong with it. Has been a solid dependable car so far. Sorry it didn't work out for you, hope all works out with the VW/Audi.

Ha... I have '11 3.6 Legacy (60k miles) and '10 3.6 Outback (96k miles), same cars essentially. Legacy was very mildly flooded, fell into a mother of all potholes (I suspect the unibody is a bit tweaked - they can't get thrust straight during an alignment), has been mildly neglected IRT fluid changes. Still runs beautifully, still drives beautifully. The Outback has been in 2 accidents. The only issue is the steering wheel controls not working and it eating oil for breakfast every day. Overall, a way better experience that with the '03 Honda Accord 6MT I used to own (shifty subframe FTW). You really must've had a lemon.

Its really a shame. Aside from the awful air conditioning that never really got cold, the Legacy was a really comfortable well built car. The 3.6 engine to me, really wasn't a performance engine. It wasn't a fast car but it had enough power to slighty have the edge over your typical family car. It sounded great with the Nameless 5” axle back and handled well with the BF Goodrich G Force Comp tires and the 24mm Whiteline rear sway bar. I usually buy all my cars new but i bought the Legacy used because i did not want a cvt transmission.

My brother in law had a 2011 stock STI. It wasn't his every day car so he didn't talk about it much. It was after I bought the Legacy that he started complaining about all the problems with his car and told me i made a mistake getting a Subaru. 2 engines, many differential problems and a few other problems on his STI and it was all covered under warranty.

My wife liked my car at first and went out and bought a new 2017 2.5 Outback Limited for her daily driver. That too has been back to the dealer quite a few times for the radio and navigation freezing up. They finally replaced the unit and so far no problems. The windshield washer fluid reservoir kept leaking and finally they took one out of another new Outback on the lot to replace hers. She uses her M3 more than the Outback now.

So far it has not been a pleasant experience with any Subaru for my family. I have had Cadillacs since 1992 and the only problem i have ever had was on an Eldorado when the sunroof wouldn't close. That was covered under warranty. I have always had an Audi A8 since 2007 and never had any problems with that or any other Audi I have owned.

We tried the Subaru thing and sadly it didn't go well for us. I don't know if these are common problems or just isolated problems on our cars but a car should not be at the dealer service about once a month, especially when i have to pay a $100 deductible for every claim under the extended warranty.

I did the same thing, bought my 2013 3.6R used in Jan 2017. 1 owner car, elderly woman. So I expected great things out of a pampered, lightly driven car. The car was back that the dealer the day after delivery for faulty hood latch. A week later for a bent stock rim and from March-July 7 more times for brake issues... that they could never seem to replicate. There were some other issues but they were dealer related vs car related. So i feel your pain.. I think about parting it out and selling it almost daily... but sucking it up for now.

Good Luck with the Audi... I think an S4 may be in my future at some point.

Archived