LegacyGT.com

A/C Compressor Pulley Bearing Issue or Not?

I have a 2012 Subaru Legacy 2.5i and I have been trying to isolate a noise that come from the sepertine belt area (at low rpm) I removed the belt and inspected all the pulleys, the a/c compressor's pulley appears to take a little more effort than the other to rotate and I was wondering if that is normal?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDnXAUGAWEg

I suspect the noise if being generated by the ac compressor pulley and everything is working the way it should, the ac is ice cold.

Any advice you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Did you start the car with the belt removed to verify that the noise is gone?

No, the noise is not present while idling it is when I step on the gas pedal and the car moves at 5-10 mph. This has been the noise from hell, I already replaced the belt, power steering pump, harmonic balancer, tensioner and idler pulley and the noise still there. I don't want to go out and pay big $$$ for the AC compressor if that will do nothing to eliminating the noise/vibration.

You've already payed out big money throwing parts at the diagnosis so far. Why not pick up a used AC compressor at a salvage yard?

That's the plan unless the is a way to bypass the A/C compressor. Also, before I can replace the compressor I will have to evacuate all the freon right? Is that something I can do at home or do I need to take it to shop?

That's the plan unless the is a way to bypass the A/C compressor. Also, before I can replace the compressor I will have to evacuate all the freon right? Is that something I can do at home or do I need to take it to shop?

Pull a flexible (cloth) tape around the pulleys and omit going around the AC compressor pulley to measure that length. Then go to your auto part store to see if you can get a serpentine belt that length, buy it, install it, drive around and see if noise is gone. You'll know then if it is the AC compressor or not.

If the noise is gone and you are replacing the compressor, yes, you'll have to have a shop evacuate the system to recover the refrigerant. You can then replace the compressor and recharge the refrigerant yourself with the cans at the auto parts store.

Archived