LegacyGT.com

Lgt subframes into OBXT

Hello, new to this forum! I recently purchased an 05 OBXT, that has a knocking motor due to a blown turbo. I picked up an '06 LGT sedan that was crashed for the motor. The OBXT has been sitting for a few years, and I want to lower it anyways. From what I have read the suspension is interchangeable. I figure I could drop the front subframe with motor and trans then the rear subframe with diff and complete suspension. Are the LGT brakes are bigger? What issues will I run into?

Will also be changing the t-belt, water pump etc. What's the best kit to get Gates? Anything else I should change when I have the motor out? Will the wiring be plug and play?

IMG_2465.thumb.JPG.bd041427dd9b0665d6b7fd81df0f7d04.JPG

Welcome to the Forum.

You'll like this, http://people.csail.mit.edu/ilh/vacation/

There are a few members here that have basically done what your asking.

I believe the OBXT's have spacers to give them more ground clearance. I know the carrier bearing it taller.

Do you know the other turbo is good, how many miles on it ?

JmP6889928 is who most send there turbo's to for rebuilding. PM him if you need him.

So you got snow already ? Where do you live ?

Read the sticky's at the tops of the Forums lots of good info there and links.

Just saw where member, MBTwrench, I think he has a lowered OBXT.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Don't use the Gates timing kit, the Chinese tensioners have problems. Aisin is the currently favored kit.

Replace gaskets: valve covers, oil cooler, oil pan, intake manifold

I believe the '05 and '06 engines are identical in all respects, so wiring should be fine.

Do both cars have auto trans? Are you planning to keep the OB's original tranny & diffs in it? Keep in mind the final drive ratios are different between the two cars; I believe you should use the drivetrain to match the wheels/tires you'll be using.

I am in Saskatchewan Canada. No snow yet. That pic is from last year.

The turbo on the OBXT is brand new. Subaru warranties the turbo but not the engine...which is why it's been sitting for a few years. The LGT engine donor had about 200,000 kms on it. I drove it for a week before parking it. Runs good, no knocking or smoking.

What drive ratio is more desireable ? I plan on using the OBXT wheels in winter and the LGT wheels in summer

I do plan on gutting the up pipe and building a divorced downpipe and cat back exhaust.

They are both Auto trans. I am a little wary as the OBXT hasn't ran in a few years, as far as I know it ran great until the turbo, motor packed it in.

Lots of lowered Outback info on these threads. In fact, the first thread got so large, the mods closed it and opened a new one for better performance.

part 1:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/official-lowered-outback-thread-closed-180375.html

part 2:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/official-lowered-outback-thread-v2-265116.html?p=5686534#post5686534

Legacy GTs have larger brakes, faster steering ratio, firmer suspension, lower profile tires. Some cars have limited slip rear diffs.

Archived