LegacyGT.com

Oh, SNAP or is it Oh, Cracked front differential?

Well here we are

after 34K miles I took my car into get it's 30K service at White Bear Subaru in May and all was well until roughly 38K when I noticed a leak on my garage floor in early August.. just after I moved to my new house. I take it into the Walser Subaru dealer when I got my oil changed in September and they said that White Bear must have not tightened the front drain plug, so they refill and off I go...

For about a week I see no new stains and then it S L O W L Y starts to came back... I figured something was up so I made the hour and thirty minute drive back to White Bear Subaru last week and have them take a look... they come back to me about an hour later and asked me for the service history on the car and I explained that I took the car over to Walser for an oil change since they are a lot closer and they said front diff leak due to drain plug not tight... but other than that White Bear has been the ONLY dealer to touch the car.

Mechanic states that the front differential housing is cracked right across the bolt hole and that is why it is leaking...

Now this is where you can tell the crap dealer from the good one.. White Bear immediately said they would take care of the issue instead of trying to pin it in Walser. Who cracked it? I do not know...

Cost to replace transmission you ask? $9K cost to me? $0.

Mileage on car when leak was detected 39K, mileage now, 41K

they didn't repair anything, the entire transmission was replaced...and the new transmission operates so much better than the old one. (I have had the car in twice where they redid the learn procedure on it) throttle is much more responsive and the rubber band effect is nearly gone, and my gas mileage is back up where it should be... so there must have been something going on with the old unit...

Archived