LegacyGT.com

iPod Install using Drive + Play

obxt

I like this location too (but my mount is a cheap $15 vent mount that has served me well). I have long since switched to a Belkin iPod adapter plugged into a Radio Shack cigarette lighter adapter, all hidden inside the center console. From the Belkin it goes into a Crutchfield ground loop isolator into Jazzy. The Belkin gives me the ability to tune the volume to be comparable to a CD, and it nicely pauses the iPod when I shut the car off. All in all, I've been very pleased with this setup since last January.

http://www.csail.mit.edu/~ilh/pics/IMG_1398.jpg

I don't see what this Harmon Kardon device really offers. I have my full iPod display in easy glance range, and I can push iPod buttons without my hand fully leaving the wheel.

--Lee

I don't see what this Harmon Kardon device really offers. I have my full iPod display in easy glance range, and I can push iPod buttons without my hand fully leaving the wheel.

--Lee

it offers exactly what you say you have, but IMO it looks a LOT cleaner. Its the same thing as having a nav unit suction cupped to you windshield vs. an OEM or one integrated into the console.

Mine looks a lot cleaner than that old photo with the only wire being 8in of Belkin adapter sticking out. I really need an updated photo. Plus, there are nicer iPod mounts such as the one Bosco is using.

My point wasn't that, it was about the user interface. You have a controller that doesn't work as slickly as the iPod's own controller, and you have a display that is less capable than the iPod's own display. IMHO, I don't see that as a win. If you do see it as a win, good for you.

i see some of you are using the headphone jack to your aux in, listen up boys and girls dump that step-up now go to http://www.davidnavone.com and use the lineout/charger combo that david sells it's like $25 it chargers the ipod and the sound quailty is vastly superior to the head phone jack. i use it in my car. with the headphone jack i had to have the volume at over 20 to really rock the car now 10/12 for the same levels. very easy to hook up charges ipod with car running much better sound. bosco

go to the thread "your best IPOD connection suggestion" it's all there, all diagrams, part numbers, etc. believe me when i tell you i have tried everyway you can name to connect my ipod to the LGT and this is by far the best. jazzy pro kit, daviod navone charger, pro clip, done

Stay Stock Stay Happy

doing my part to bump and old thread:

just installed mine yesterday. so far so good. There is some delay and missing features, but i'm not that hardcore of a user. so it works for me. here's my setup:

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e168/SeattleLegacy/driveplayinstall5.jpg

for those who have installed the D+P does the audio coming from the unit seem low? I get no bass and very tinny sounding audio from it when connected through my jazztmt mount, but have better audio when using the hated fm modulator...

and of course HK customer service is not answering their phones!

is this the nature of the beast on this one? or is there something wrong with mine?

i have the wired fm modulator, which sounds pretty good. I've found that with the wired modulator some highs start to crackle or sound static-like. But it only seems to be on some types of music, polka mostly. (j/k) I think i need to find a station that doesn't have any other stations near it on the dial. I think that might help. i've also heard that there is an attenta on/off switch that can be purchased. I guess it block all incoming signals from the attenna before it gets to the wired fm modulator. haven't had any luck finding such a device. any with input on that?

i didn't have a problem with h/k customer service when i called. but i called as early as i could in the morning.

finally got through... very helpful... looks like I have brain damage... on my HK that is.... they're sending a new one via two day... so I can FINALLY button up my interior after a month and a half....

i have the wired fm modulator, which sounds pretty good. I've found that with the wired modulator some highs start to crackle or sound static-like. But it only seems to be on some types of music, polka mostly. (j/k) I think i need to find a station that doesn't have any other stations near it on the dial. I think that might help. i've also heard that there is an attenta on/off switch that can be purchased. I guess it block all incoming signals from the attenna before it gets to the wired fm modulator. haven't had any luck finding such a device. any with input on that?

my advice is go with the jazzy board, no need to worry about static or antenna block off.

i see some of you are using the headphone jack to your aux in, listen up boys and girls dump that step-up now go to www.davidnavone.com and use the lineout/charger combo that david sells it's like $25 it chargers the ipod and the sound quailty is vastly superior to the head phone jack. i use it in my car. with the headphone jack i had to have the volume at over 20 to really rock the car now 10/12 for the same levels. very easy to hook up charges ipod with car running much better sound. bosco

go to the thread "your best IPOD connection suggestion" it's all there, all diagrams, part numbers, etc. believe me when i tell you i have tried everyway you can name to connect my ipod to the LGT and this is by far the best. jazzy pro kit, daviod navone charger, pro clip, done

I'll quote it right here for you. I have done the same thing and couldn't agree more. Have had it for about 10 months now or however long the jazzy board has been out.

• 4 weeks later...

hmm.. i wanted to see if i can use my nav screen instead of the screen that comes with Drive..

im no longer sure if the screen that comes with Drive has internal display codec or if it simply just displays whatever it recieves from the main unit..

if the screen just displays whatever signal it recieves from the main unit, then i could probably get 3.5mm jack to RCA converter and make good use of my nav screen and get the factory look too..

i have had one of these for just over a year. yes, it is a little sluggish, but it does everything the ipod does. i am using the hk fm modulator with it right now. i drive in boston alot and the modulator does get overpowered some. i mounted the display on the cluster. 503107735_hkdp003.thumb.jpg.2e336d959b1ae4a4778eccd6381a234a.jpg

556187658_hkdp005.thumb.jpg.13964960372b1d532ca776e20f868ee7.jpg

• 9 months later...
Update time...installed the mvigneau aux-in that adds the sat button feature to the radio and am running my d&p through that...GREAT SOUND. I was using an fm modulator and was getting overpowered on my trips to ma and ri. The sound quality is up with the cd player...no modulator and no spinning a blank cd. This was a hell of an engineering feat for mike!

• 3 months later...
  • 4 years later...

Bumping an old thread. I installed this in 2009 by following OBXT's walkthrough - not nearly as nicely done, but it's been functional.

I don't recommend putting an iPod wire through the center console, because it can't lay flat. After a few years of abuse in the center console, one of the solder points in mine broke. After resoldering I moved the cable to the glove box and will give it a try there. You can see the original hole in the console, and the connector itself is still bent.

I notched a small hole between the shift boot and the console to fit the wire for the controller. Otherwise, all modifications will be pretty invisible when I eventually remove it and replace the head unit.

71677856_DSC03017(Medium).thumb.JPG.2eb7dace761ac4f367e05c584871ed5a.JPG

1033675302_DSC03019(Medium).thumb.JPG.5836bee263a70981393e39021e143503.JPG

110879902_IMG_0388(Medium).thumb.JPG.7029cc388031c2ccbc7ce9ee72908324.JPG

2053450489_IMG_0389(Medium).thumb.JPG.bf6f9016f2d2163aa53774fc9cb77ef6.JPG

331741013_IMG_0390(Medium).thumb.JPG.cc2d4e981078bb87e6f54c272c97c7aa.JPG

18594930_IMG_0391(Medium).thumb.JPG.3c7bca5192c67e189a938bf667c2483e.JPG

1803777946_IMG_0396(Medium).thumb.JPG.86b9414665c0258731867ee42717a41f.JPG

83997638_IMG_0397(Medium).thumb.JPG.93a61581cbf12f6243e3ff7f737b36cc.JPG

2065097802_IMG_0398(Medium).thumb.JPG.d5174c066c7c01d5daac415b4135451f.JPG

Archived