LegacyGT.com

Thomas' Legacy BP 2.0GT, I mean 2.0D thread

Hi all

Legacy7.jpg

I don't post very often on here and just realised that I hadn't updated my introduction post for over a year about the Outback 3.0R I have. Now that's done, I can get back to the reason for starting this post.

For over a year I've been on the hunt for a decent 2.0GT wagon, a car that I absolutely adore. But... the fact they only made them in RHD is really putting my off. I've ridden a friends JDM blobeye STi and altough it's ok-ish, I can't see myself riding a RHD car every day.

So, I started to look for other options (brands) and was always drawn back to the LGT... I found a way how to convert a LHD N/A Legacy to LGT legally using an LGT as a donor, but again, a lot of (paper-)work.

FF to the present and I bought something that looks like a GT, has loads of torque, but doesn't sound, feel or smells like a GT... I made a pact with lucifer and bought a diesel Legacy... Not just any diesel, to make matters worse, it's a IVth gen car which means they have the fragile engine and to add even more misery to it, it was stored at some dealership's yard.

Altough the first engine was replaced by a brand spanking new one in 2012 and the car has a new clutch fitted to it, the previous owner got fed up with it after it had gone trough both of the front driveshafts.

Luckely, the car was cheap. I made an even cheaper offer and had the car delivered to my house the next day.

So, here is the start of an adventure in trying to make this thing pretty again, adding some go fast(-er) bits and ofcourse, some handle very good bits.

Update 1

I started with removing both of the front driveshafts. The left one was knackered and already had some zip-tie fitted boots (which I don't like), the right one was in better shape, but I removed it never the less.

Legacy1.jpg

Those eagle-eyed lurkers on here will for sure notice the small dent in the front wing ;) . A replacement has been sourced, just need the inner arch liner.

Update 2

Once I had the driveshafts removed, I could continue with removing both front struts. I don't know how this car got trough its last tech inspection, because both struts look like they have been rotting away in the ocean.

Legacy2.jpg

Since I was at it, I removed the front brakes and hubs. Don't know if I could bare leaving this brake setup stock, still have to decide.

The hubs were 'on sale' on a local webshop, so bought a pair.

Legacy3.jpg

I Noticed the front stabiliser bar rubbers were shot, so ordered a pair this morning and picked them up after work. Only €10 (=USD12), so cheapest fix up to know.

Legacy5.jpg

Yes, that is a torch. I'm one of those crazy guys who like to work outside, in the cold, with his back on the floor just because he wants to do some work on the car whilest the misses is out.

Legacy4.jpg

Maybe a bit to much grease on them, but don't want any noise coming from them.

Update 3

Had to jump start the car yesterday (dead battery from sitting) and needed a few attempt. Turned out (what a surprise) my Outback H6's battery is not suited for the diesel lump, so called in help in the form of my parents diesel volvo XC70. Car started right away, but shows VDC and CEL light.

Read out the codes today and I think they are all related to the low voltage from the first attempst. I'm sure the car was not showing any coded when I first got it.

Quite nice that the car shows what's wrong with it...

Legacy8.jpg

Furthemore, 2l of coolant was missing, filled it up and let it idle for 15 mins. Level didn't change and no pressure on the system either. Hope there is no mystery leak somewhere since I can't seem to find any deposit or visible leak.

• 2 weeks later...

Update 5

The last couple of weeks things went a bit slow on the Legacy-side. The website on which I ordered the front shock absorbers had some trouble with delivery, the seals from the gearbox were knackered and took 5 days (weekend) to get to the dealer and I had to have the springs mounted on the shocks by the dealer.

I reset the board computer by disconnecting the battery and pressing the brake pedal and the fault codes dissappeared. So I'm well chuffed with that.

Legacy10.jpg

Legacy11.jpg

Brakes look like ****, but they work fine and will receive an update once the car is road legal again.

115nmaz3t7

Did a quick oil and filter change today. Will do a second one after 1000 miles to make sure all the junk is removed from the sump.

Legacy13.jpg

And yes, the engine bay needs a very, very good clean. Furthermore, I'll change the crank pulley and idlers/tensioners. But those can wait for now.

Legacy14.jpg

You're over in your corner of the world wanting an LGT and I've over here in the US wanting a turbo diesel Legacy. Trade? :lol:

Euhm, yes, that's cool :D. I'll even the shipping both ways ;).

It's so wild to think about how 200k on a diesel is fairly decent mileage! Enjoy!

Well, on most diesel engines that is the case, but the subaru diesel is not the most bulletproof. Still, it'll be fine :).

Archived