LegacyGT.com

Tire Noise

I'm glad the OP had his problems solved.

Which Goodyear model?

I'm pleasantly surprised by how quiet my current Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 tires are. Much quieter than the Dunlop Sport Maxx 050 that came with my car. The first-gen Eagle F1 I owned years ago was the noisiest tire I'd ever tried.

Let's see how well the Eagle F1A3 holds up after the proverbial year [emoji51]

I've always wanted to try PSS but they (and even PS4) are ridiculously overpriced here, and the trend will probably continue with the PS4S. All three Michelin models are supposed to have low tire noise.

I wanted to go Michelins, but they were just too pricey.

I've had Eagles a couple of times on other cars, just dont remember which they were but I was ok with them, only thing not quite living up to projected miles. My current ones are Eagle Sports. If I hadn't anticipated perhaps selling the car within the year I probably would have gone with Contis again.

While this thread has gone slightly OT, I must say the PSS's weren't super quiet, but not super noisy either. Performance, on the other hand was top notch even in the rain which we get a lot of here, in Florida. I got them with a package, with the OZ's that are in the wheel market place, with different tires. Overall, best tire I've had in life, and lasted about 40k miles, which wasn't horrible. ;)

I have Firestone Firehawk AS tires (22 50 18) which I’ve had for approximately 15 months: 12K miles. Over the past few months they've become noisy. I initially took the car to Subaru and a Master Tech I know indicated the tires had a lot of tread noise; not a bearing issue. I then took my car to Firestone for inspection; they indicated the tires have developed very slight cupping which they say is the cause of the noise.

They will replace them under warranty. An option is to upgrade them for a minimal amount to Potenza RE970’s, RE97’s or Drive Guards.

My concern is either of the Potenzas will have more noise associated with them and unsure about the Drive Guards.

Decisions, decisions, decisions.

Any input is appreciated.

I have Firestone Firehawk AS tires (250 50 18) which I’ve had for approximately 15 months: 12K miles.

They will replace them under warranty. An option is to upgrade them for a minimal amount to Potenza RE970’s, RE97’s or Drive Guards.

Is that on stock rims? 250/50/18? If I recall, the stockers are 225/50/18's, so, quite a bit wider, there.

In any case, I had previously researched all the tires you mentioned, as replacements, but man, ever since my 2002 WRX wagon and 2005 LGT, I wrote off the suck tones (B'stones). I'll never buy them, no matter which ones...sorry to say. Even tire rack has tested them, you can watch the video's and read the reviews, here (tire rack - RE-970AS).

I don't drive in the NE or snow belt much any more, so for me it's all about wet traction. Florida gets lots of rain, as well as a fair amount of dry days. The Michelin PSS's are most likely where I'll end up again, but, the 3.6R stock tire size sucks...and makes it even harder to find a decent tire. Luckily, they make the PSS's in stock size, just that they cost a pretty penny. However, I can't say enough about them, in both wet and dry conditions. :)

I corrected the tire size; it should have read 225 50 18 which are on the stock rims. I agree that the stock tire size sucks.

I’ve actually have had good luck with Bridgestone (predecessor to Turanza Serenity on multiple cars & RE760 Sports) & Firestone (Firehawk Wide Oval Indy 500) tires in the past.

I did have the 19mm RSB installed which I removed a few months ago and went back to stock.

I got the Firehawks just after they were released so maybe not a good early batch? I’m sure the lousy roads in SoCal doesn’t help things.

^^ Gotcha.

Personally, I'm done with B'stones. I got the Potenza S-04 PP's, before the pilots. They would never balance correctly, were loud, and just a pain to deal with. Luckily, my local Discount Tire took them back (within the 30 day window). Then, I had them install the Michelin's. After 44-46k miles on a 2.0i Impreza wagon (NA), I never looked back.

GL with your decision, though. Also, curious, why'd you take off the sway bar?

I corrected the tire size; it should have read 225 50 18 which are on the stock rims. I agree that the stock tire size sucks.

I’ve actually have had good luck with Bridgestone (predecessor to Turanza Serenity on multiple cars & RE760 Sports) & Firestone (Firehawk Wide Oval Indy 500) tires in the past.

I did have the 19mm RSB installed which I removed a few months ago and went back to stock.

I got the Firehawks just after they were released so maybe not a good early batch? I’m sure the lousy roads in SoCal doesn’t help things.

both of my Subaru's are on Serenity Plus tires... They are long wearing with great traction

As I posted back in April, after a year of the GY LS2 tires on my 3.6, I swapped out to the Pirelli P Zero Plus A/S new compound. I had taken sound readings on the LS2s when they were a month old, and then taken readings with the new tires. Same road, warmup time, temperature, etc. Speed 60 mph. A-weighted scale showed Pirellis 3-4 decibels quieter than the LS2s. The Pirellis are also rated highly on tire rack, and I found them to handle really well in dry and rain, and perform nicely in snow and slush on trips to ski country. Not cheap though...

Archived