LegacyGT.com

Bought a Ford

Has Ford ever had a really good engine? Seems like many of their 4-bangers have had at least one or two weak points since at least the Pinto.

The Pinto engine weakness is that it eats camshafts. And the bearing holders don't split and are part of the cast iron head. To add insult to injury the three bearings have a different size with the largest one at the rear towards the passenger compartment. So either you have to cut a hole in the firewall or remove the cylinder head when you need to do a cam job.

http://uploads.turbosport.co.uk/Remote0987632434287ghj/httpi304photobucketcomalbumsnn174RS2kSXDAZ7314engine%20no1engine5jpg

453747.png

I had a Ford Edge sport and it was a beast with a livernois tune. I bet that fusion pulls like a monster.

We got a 2.0T Edge rental (or is 2.3?) FWD last summer. The slightest bit of rain, and you could spin the front wheels at will. A little cramped up front too. My wife just reminded me my biggest annoyance was the trunk light in the SIDE of the trunk/hatch - one suitcase, and the trunk was dark as night.. Not exactly ideal for a family of 4 with luggage for 2.5 weeks of vacation..

But, with better brakes, AWD, etc.. Might be worth a go. OTOH - I wonder if it's the SAME AWD components already having issues on the Fusion? No sense looking at it then - it's already within an inch of its life from the factory, if they're cranking up the HP/torque even more..

Has Ford ever had a really good engine? Seems like many of their 4-bangers have had at least one or two weak points since at least the Pinto.

The Pinto engine weakness is that it eats camshafts. And the bearing holders don't split and are part of the cast iron head. To add insult to injury the three bearings have a different size with the largest one at the rear towards the passenger compartment. So either you have to cut a hole in the firewall or remove the cylinder head when you need to do a cam job.

http://uploads.turbosport.co.uk/Remote0987632434287ghj/httpi304photobucketcomalbumsnn174RS2kSXDAZ7314engine%20no1engine5jpg

All cars have faults...

Subaru's are known to eat oil, have bad turbos that can destroy the entire engine, and crack piston ring lands(even on the factory tune). Ever try to change the spark plugs in a 3.0R with out having bloody knuckles at the end of the 2+ hour process? I was never successful.

I once knew a guy that owned a SAAB that could change his clutch by standing in the front of the car without removing much of anything, but to change the spark plugs, he had to remove an engine mount, several other accessories, and rock the engine forward. Made it difficult to replace something that needed to be replaced every 30K miles, but something that needs to be replaced once in the car's life was easy.

Design for maintainability!!! (regardless of manufacturer)

• 7 months later...

Update - Still liking this car. I didn't stay stock for long... I took the plunge and tuned it. Damn, this thing pulls like a freight train now. I think it pulls harder than my stage 3 LGT with an HTA68 turbo on pump gas at 21psi. Pulling a 3,000 lb trailer is effortless. Here's the kicker, my gas mileage improved by about 3-4MPG.

Other fun facts and additions.

The DIT engines on these cars are NOTORIOUS for valve carbon issues. I installed an AOS/Catchcan and pull about a tablespoon of oil out every 5K miles. It prevents it from getting to the valves and causing this problem. I truly believe their are other benefits as well (longevity of intake hoses/tubes that are not coated in oil, performance/detonation issues, etc)

The boost diverter valve (AKA recirc valve in the Subaru world) is a week spot with increased boost (similar to the Subaru world). Go Fast Bits makes a very nice piece that fits this car that greatly increases throttle response and holds boost better between shifts.

We are about to see what improvements the mods make. A guy just bought a car, a tune, catted down pipes, and FMIC. He's going to do a baseline dyno pull and then look to install them one by one and dyno in between to see improvements are made with each addition. Stay tuned!

Update - Still liking this car. I didn't stay stock for long... I took the plunge and tuned it. Damn, this thing pulls like a freight train now. I think it pulls harder than my stage 3 LGT with an HTA68 turbo on pump gas at 21psi. Pulling a 3,000 lb trailer is effortless. Here's the kicker, my gas mileage improved by about 3-4MPG.

3K lb trailer? Must have squat quite a lot no?

Archived