LegacyGT.com

Getting car ready after sitting for several months

Someone sideswiped my 05 lgt while it was parked on my street. Insurance decided to just cut me a check. I decided to keep the car and it's been sitting since while I tried to figure out another car. That didn't work out, so now I'm trying to get it ready to get back on the road. It sat for about 8 months. I was wondering if there are some things I should check for or common problems that arise when a car has been sitting for a while.

It's a good idea to inspect your belts, hoses and vacuum lines for cracks or deterioration, especially the rubber oil return hose under the turbo. I'd also change the engine oil and filter, maybe the engine air filter (depending on condition) and doing an overall safety check prior to driving on public roads.

Best of luck!

• 1 month later...

Bring the battery in the house, put it on a trickle charger overnight. If your gas tank is not completely full, get a bottle of HEET and a gallon or two of gas in a portable tank and put them in the tank. Do an oil change. Check all your fluid levels. Check air filter.

Expect your brakes and clutch to operate poorly until they have been used a few times. Your tires will be out-of-round until you have driven around for a few minutes.

Archived