LegacyGT.com

Engine locks up while tirning by hand

Put on new head gaskets, new timing belt, engine only rotates some before hitting valves. If rocker arm shafts are backed off engine turns over fine.

Is it possible I have the cams on the wrong side, or pulleys bolted on wrong?

Believe timing is correct.

20170916_173443.thumb.jpg.de9f962919d5971261ff62e4d81355ff.jpg

20170916_173436.thumb.jpg.1e5dada4f521589d1c46a53a916a3054.jpg

20170916_173427.thumb.jpg.5ae3565658bcd357aa0676715015ab37.jpg

Put on new head gaskets, new timing belt, engine only rotates some before hitting valves. If rocker arm shafts are backed off engine turns over fine.

Is it possible I have the cams on the wrong side, or pulleys bolted on wrong?

Believe timing is correct.

The crankshaft sprocket has several markings (a line and an arrow). You do not want to align the arrow with the 12 o'clock position to set your valve timing. That is the top dead center position, and is wrong.

You want the pistons all mid-way in their bores. That is the other mark on the crankshaft sprocket, the line mark should align with the 12 o'clock position.

Thank you for the response, stood there earlier thinking the problem has got to right in front of me I just don't see it.

Put a head on a cat C15 and it would turn one way freely then after a turn over by hand would lock up, spentv3 hours trying to figure it, a spacer had fallen between the balancer and motor mount and would get jammed up one way but not the other

Just happened to drop something else in that area and noticed it.

I always try to hand crank first but on some engines it is a little tricky, the little bolts on the front of the big diesels are not strong enough always

When you do injectors on them fuel and oil goes in the cylinder, coworker did not get all out one time and did some nasty damage, another mechanic left somethong on the cylinder then put the head on.

Catman, here you might like these.

http://people.csail.mit.edu/ilh/vacation/

Welcome to the forum. Please hang around and help out where you can.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived