LegacyGT.com

What's with the rear brake section of the Outbacks?

bman

'05 Outback. 2 years ago displays "Err SS" and I got the code C0102 - Left Rear Speed Sensor. Mechanic replaced it. The right rear wheel bearing goes a few months later. I actually had to change it 3 times before getting a good bearing Right before the bearing change C0102 popped up again. After the bearing change, it went away. Now the C0102 is back. I disconnected the battery all night (pressed horn and brake while off) and the "Err SS" is still showing. The sensor is only 2 years old. Do I change it again?

The sensors are fairly reliable, unlikely another would fail so soon in the same place. Might be a problem with the wiring harness, giving intermittent open circuit or short circuit. Could be a wire going bad or a bad connector someplace between the sensor and the control unit. You might be able to trace the problem with a multi-meter.

I had a similar problem and it wound up to be the dust shield that's on the axle bent slightly inward. It kept shaving the sensor until it shorted out. Bent it back,changed the sensor and it never came back. It can also be debris/rust/scale lodged around the sensor/bearing.

Zack K.

Archived