LegacyGT.com

are all 5mt's the same?

meier motor sports

The turbo trans was considered "reinforced" where as I don't believe the NA versions were. They also had different ratios for each gearing set.

From Cars101.com

NA:

5spd manual

1st 3.454

2nd 2.062

3rd 1.448

4th 1.088

5th .780

final 3.90

Turbo:

5spd manual

1st 3.166

2nd 1.882

3rd 1.296

4th .972

5th .738

final reduction 4.111

im trying to keep costs down.

So you want an old tranny with questionable history.

All the JDM parts houses can get this tranny easily, or have it, from a 05-09 JDM 2.0GT Legacy with minimal miles on it.

Does anybody know exactly what was done to reinforce the LGT 5-speed (TY757VBAAB)? I have heard things over the years, such as the case was made stiffer, gears treated in some way (cryo, shot-peened?). Also have heard many times this version of the transmission is supposed to be the strongest of the available 5-speeds.

Does anybody know exactly what was done to reinforce the LGT 5-speed (TY757VBAAB)? I have heard things over the years, such as the case was made stiffer, gears treated in some way (cryo, shot-peened?). Also have heard many times this version of the transmission is supposed to be the strongest of the available 5-speeds.

I've heard a couple of things. The case halves were thickened in "areas where it counts" to reduce flexing. I've also heard that 1st and 2nd gear are more thicker and straight cut which leads to strength, but sacrifices noise.

I too have heard that the LGT 5MT is one of the stronger 5-speeds made. Given what I've seen on the boards here, I would agree. While you do hear about 5MTs failing, it seems to be less frequent than the WRX/STI 5MTs that were pretty brittle.

Also, I know there are various opinions on the Moore Blast Plates, but I am a proponent of them. With no other mods to the car, I saw an immediate improvement in shifting while driving. The trans felt much more solid. Weather or not it helps longevity, I don't know(sold the car), but I would most certainly put them on another LGT if I purchased one with a 5MT if not just for the impressive improvement in shift response.

So you want an old tranny with questionable history.

All the JDM parts houses can get this tranny easily, or have it, from a 05-09 JDM 2.0GT Legacy with minimal miles on it.

no, i dont want a questionable history trans.

i need a center diff, and adding in all major bearings and seals and syncros, i am up to $1300 for rebuilding the trans myself

Archived