LegacyGT.com

Funky paint issue?

Hi all,

Any idea what would say this type of paint issue? I have only had the car a couple of months and never noticed anything (except some scratches) until the last couple of days.

We did recently have a very large forest fire that rained ash down on the city of a few days, but I was careful not to get the car wet and once the ash stopped, I took it to a car wash to get washed before doing it myself (I heard the soap from the car wash is better than rinsing down the car first).

Since my war is under warranty, I was "hoping" it was a factory defect, but I'm certain it is not. Ideas? It is a 2015 Legacy.

IMG_3129.thumb.JPG.01b1a5e4c096cccc1f95e1be2e8acd13.JPG

Wow

I clicked on the photo and zoomed in. It's a high quality photo.

With all due respect, the finish on that paint doesn't look good.

What are all of those white flakes?

Was this photo taken before or after you washed the car?

Are those other nicks filled with touch up paint?

I have to say, I think that damage spot is not a warranty defect. Something attacked the paint, and hot ash does seem likely. Like either a burn or a solvent.

Cheap route: sand it down lightly and prime and touch up paint.

but based on the rest of the finish in the photo, you may want to talk to a pro detailer/paint shop, depending on what your expectation is for a repair (how do you want it to look when you are done vs how much to you want to pay)

You could probably go through insurance if needed.

Wow

I clicked on the photo and zoomed in. It's a high quality photo.

With all due respect, the finish on that paint doesn't look good.

What are all of those white flakes?

Was this photo taken before or after you washed the car?

Are those other nicks filled with touch up paint?

I have to say, I think that damage spot is not a warranty defect. Something attacked the paint, and hot ash does seem likely. Like either a burn or a solvent.

Cheap route: sand it down lightly and prime and touch up paint.

but based on the rest of the finish in the photo, you may want to talk to a pro detailer/paint shop, depending on what your expectation is for a repair (how do you want it to look when you are done vs how much to you want to pay)

You could probably go through insurance if needed.

The finish actually isn't bad, I had washed the car, but then we got some wish which blew the ash out of the trees. That is what the white flakes are.

I thought the same thing, something ate the paint - I'm not sure if it happened while I've owned the car or before. My thinking is maybe the dealer covered it up a bit before they sold me the car.

I was going to try some touch up paint, just to protect the car from rust and get a detailer to buff out the entire car... thoughts on that? My main concern is the bigger "hole" in the paint...

Wood ash is usually alkaline, but just how alkaline is highly variable. Sitting on your car's finish, ash will slowly absorb moisture from the air and may begin to affect the paint even though it still appears dry. IMO it would be best to rinse ash off the vehicle as soon as possible, rather than waiting to take it to a car wash.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

it does look like either something burnt or ate into the paint. The other suggestion of previous chip covered up and you just noticed it looks possible. Id have the whole thing machine polished and see what s left then> Maybe just touch up and move on after that.

Archived