LegacyGT.com

'99 Legacy Front Axle Confusion

Hoping someone can shed some light on this.

I'm looking to replace both front axles on my '99 Legacy L 30th Anniversary 2.2L. When I go to look up the axles either online or at AutoZone/Other Auto parts stores, it shows the front axles having a female inner housing.

The 4AT in my car does not have male splines coming out of the trans, and the current axles (4 torn boots) are male on both housings. I checked the transmission model number against the car's silver VIN plate up by the driver side mirror. They Match. :confused:

I have looked a couple years in either direction online, and the axles listed seem to be the same. The only other Legacy I've come across that has male/male axles is my 4th Gen Sedan.

This car has some weird factory parts on it which have caused issues like this in the past. For example, it is a California Emission Spec Model and uses a 2000+ model year air filter. (Also has 90% of the 2000+ Legacy air intake piping)

Hoping someone can shed some light on this.

I'm looking to replace both front axles on my '99 Legacy L 30th Anniversary 2.2L. When I go to look up the axles either online or at AutoZone/Other Auto parts stores, it shows the front axles having a female inner housing.

The 4AT in my car does not have male splines coming out of the trans, and the current axles (4 torn boots) are male on both housings. I checked the transmission model number against the car's silver VIN plate up by the driver side mirror. They Match. :confused:

I have looked a couple years in either direction online, and the axles listed seem to be the same. The only other Legacy I've come across that has male/male axles is my 4th Gen Sedan.

This car has some weird factory parts on it which have caused issues like this in the past. For example, it is a California Emission Spec Model and uses a 2000+ model year air filter. (Also has 90% of the 2000+ Legacy air intake piping)

Phase 2 4EAT. They have female axle ports. You'll need to look at 2000+ Legacy 2.2 axles. Take some pictures of the axles and the spot where they go on the transmission. The 99-01 Legacy 2.2 was a different breed of car in terms of parts. It was almost like Subaru raided the parts bin for the 3rd gens when they got to the end of production of the second gen.

My 96 with a 4EAT have the spines on each end if I remember right. I didn't know they switched over to anything else within that same generation.

The current passenger side axle I have came off of a '95 Legacy Brighton. When I was in the junkyard, certain older Legacys had the Male/Male axles, and certain ones didn't. There was no real pattern to it.

Phase 2 4EAT. They have female axle ports. You'll need to look at 2000+ Legacy 2.2 axles. Take some pictures of the axles and the spot where they go on the transmission. The 99-01 Legacy 2.2 was a different breed of car in terms of parts. It was almost like Subaru raided the parts bin for the 3rd gens when they got to the end of production of the second gen.

As far as I can tell, the 99 Legacy was the last Legacy to get the 2.2L. I also checked the 3rd gen axles on Legacys up to 2004. Female inner joint Axles. :confused:

As far as I can tell, the 99 Legacy was the last Legacy to get the 2.2L. I also checked the 3rd gen axles on Legacys up to 2004. Female inner joint Axles. :confused:

Sorry, I meant Impreza up to 01 had the EJ22 Phase 2, but the transmissions were all Phase 2 starting with the Legacy in 1999.

AFAIK, there are only two different axle designs:

1.) http://www.rockauto.com/info/111/667259-RIT__ra_p.jpg

and

2.) http://www.rockauto.com/info/111/667281-RIT__ra_p.jpg

The first one was for 90-03/04 vehicles (with the exception of the FWD models and early 5MT) second one was only for 04+ vehicles. Again, we need to see the axle and the transmission in order to tell for certain. Also, posting the transmission code will help as well.

Update:

I spoke with a local Subaru Guru. I do have female inner axle joints. The axles fit onto a stub which is usually has a C-Clip that holds them into the transmission. The Axle Joint has a roll pin (which I did not remove) that holds the stub onto the axle. Once I remove the roll pin, the stub will come out.

Thanks for your help Setnev.

Update:

I spoke with a local Subaru Guru. I do have female inner axle joints. The axles fit onto a stub which is usually has a C-Clip that holds them into the transmission. The Axle Joint has a roll pin (which I did not remove) that holds the stub onto the axle. Once I remove the roll pin, the stub will come out.

Thanks for your help Setnev.

Make sure you didn't damage those circlips when you pulled the axles out. They're not meant to come out, not easily at least.

Archived