LegacyGT.com

Multifunction switch/ stalk replacement

So I decided to upgrade to variable speed intermittent wipers in my Legacy L. I acquired the entire assembly with both switches and the clock spring (or whatever it is actually called) assembly off Ebay from a '98 Outback limited.

After removing the plastic steering column trim, I found I could remove the two screws that hold the wiper switch in, but the wiring is a different story. It's very difficult to get to because of the metal piece on the bottom of the steering column was impossible to remove (couldn't budge any of the 4 Phillips head screws- too bad they didn't use bolts.

Even if I can remove the switch and pull the wiring out with it, with it, it doesn't look like the plug would fit through the small opening where the switch fits into the assembly, so it looks like cutting it off, and reattaching it once the switch is installed is the only option. However, it doesn't look like any way to feed the wiring for the new switch down through the steering column to be able to plug it in under the dash because you really can't gets your hands on the wiring as it goes through steering column.

So I basically gave up and put things back together again. I'm wondering if removing the steering wheel and replacing the entire switch assembly and clock spring with the ones from Ebay would be easier. Never have pulled a steering wheel and I don't have a wheel puller. Anyone done this with yours- how easy was it and did you need any special tools?

The 2nd gen Legacy's have 2 cables coming from the switch itself that end in a large plug that plugs in to a harness under the dash. If there were no cable, I would have been able to replace it. It sounds like they went to a more modular design for it later on.

You could maybe de-pin the connector and feed the wires through and then put them back into the connector.

I have a 95 L that I'm planning to do this to. I got the switch in the local yard and I didn't need a puller to get that wheel off. Not sure what the donor was other than second gen. You do have to be careful not to knock out your teeth or anything like that when you are getting the wheel off. ;)

Those Phillips screws are a royal pain in the ass to remove. I was able to get the out with an impact screwdriver. Find the bit that matches the head of the screw, give the impact screwdriver a good whack with a hammer and viola, they broke free.

Those Phillips screws are a royal pain in the ass to remove. I was able to get the out with an impact screwdriver. Find the bit that matches the head of the screw, give the impact screwdriver a good whack with a hammer and viola, they broke free.

I got the 2 screws out with no problem (one with an offset Phillips head and the other with a 1/4" ratchet with Phillips head bit. The issue is with the wiring in this case.

When I get a moment, I'll look at the wiring schematic for the L and the Outback limited. I believe the connector/wiring is the same and the switch is what holds the resistor for the variable wipers.

My mechanic is going to loan me a steering wheel puller, so that's they way I'm going to go. It looks pretty straightforward once you pull it and i can replace the entire unit with both stalks or just the wiper portion.

Don't forget to disco the battery and hold the brake pedal for a bit before you start messing with the hand grenade in the steering wheel.

Actually, heard it might be a good idea to disconnect the battery the night before I pull the airbag too.

If you have the time it *is* a good idea. And if static electicity is a problem where you live watch out for that. And still keep your face out of the line of fire.

They don't kill as many people as they save, but they *do* kill people.

It's like getting under your car without good and redundant support. You can, but it's a risk so take precautions.

Archived