LegacyGT.com

Legacy GT vs other cars

I'm looking to sell my 2006 GX470 and get a car that's more fun to drive, manual transmission, and also awd. On my short list right now I'm looking at:

-Legacy GT (05-09) Wagon

Seems like the best choice

-E30 325IX

I really like how it looks, so does my gf, and I think it'll be collectible one day

-Audi S4

Twin turbo v6.... but also old Audis might be the least reliable cars I've ever heard of besides Ladas and Lancias lol.

-K5 Blazer / GMC Jimmy

Just a huge fan of the body style, would want to turn it into a capable off-roader

-2004 Golf R32

Would only be affordable if the GX sells for a lot of money

-Toyota Land Cruiser

Would probably only be available in "fair" condition in my budget

-Toyota pickups

Bulletproof, would probably put a lift kit on it just for funsies.

I am on a legacy forum because that's my first choice, but is that the one you'd pick out of this list?

It might be nice to have a good truck, but as a supplemental vehicle along with a good car.

Audi S4 - maintenance nightmare, admire from a safe distance.

BMW - nice driving car, expensive to own.

Golf R - expensive to buy new, worth it?

I do think the Legacy GT makes the most sense as a practical daily driver because it does most everything well and it works as a DIY proposition (that appeals to a certain breed of practical enthusiast). BUT, only if you are prepared to work on it yourself. It's an older car, it will require maintenance and repairs that are not too bad if you can DIY. If you have to pay someone to fix it, it will be expensive to own.

- For the Golf R32 I was only looking at the 2004 because that's the old body style manual gearbox one. It's the one with the VR6 engine, naturally aspirated. It's a desirable car though, and is rarely for sale for under 10,000$, which is more or less my budget.

- As for the daily driver, it wouldn't exactly be a daily driver. I already have an Infiniti G35, but I want to avoid getting it rusty since it's my baby. Therefore, I'm thinking I would probably put the G35 in a garage or cover it for the months when it snows, and not really drive it, not bother getting snow tires/a second set of wheels.

- Unfortunately, living near downtown Philadelphia will make repairs difficult, at least for now.

-Legacy GT (05-09) Hmm, honestly depends on the condition and millage. Judging from the list you price point would narrow it down to basically hit or miss lgt's

-E30 325IX

Deff never will be a collectors car lol. But seems like the most practical of the list.

-Audi S4 No

-K5 Blazer / GMC Jimmy

Pretty capable and reliable, MPG's are the only real issue

-2004 Golf R32 Quite honestly over priced and expensive to maintainer

-Toyota Land Cruiser

Can we say gas killer. Had one and it drank gas.

-Toyota pickups

Not a bad idea, but depends on what real use would you have for it.

I bought an auto be more involved in my uninvolvedness . 200k+ Club

If you can't blind them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit.

My high mileage turd.

The E30 325IX seems like a relatively rare and interesting car? But either way I like it. However, it's a pretty old car so I know that would come with some problems.

I figured the S4 shouldn't really be considered though.

MPG wouldn't be *too much* of a problem with the SUVs, I just discovered there was also a Ramcharger built on the same platform? Lolz.

Why do you think the R32 is overpriced? It's naturally aspirated so you don't have to worry too much about turbo issues at least.

Did you have a manual landcruiser?

All of your choices are only suitable as weekend toys, not daily drivers.

Go buy the newest Honda Civic you can lay your hands on within your budget if this is going to be primary transportation.

Even better, if your GX470 is still reliable and paid for.... keep it and continue doing maintenance. It's a Toyota Land Cruiser Prado with nicer options, frankly I'd rather have it than any car on your list.

I'll bet that GX 470 with proper maintenance will run forever. Land Cruisers do that, even when they're in a party dress.

If you can become proficient in changing seals, bearings and suspension tid bits I bet that GX470 would do 500k before it's compression allowed blow by.

Need forum help? Private Message legGTLT

Yep, maybe more if you do oil changes with top quality filters and full synthetic oil every 3K.

As for seals, yeah some will need changing, or you'll have to be diligent about making sure various fluids stay topped up. Other suspension bits are pretty easy with the right tools, a weekend, and a couple 6 packs of tasty cold beverages.

I don't need a daily driver, I'm going to be within walking distance of school/work, but I want something that's fun to drive in snow and fwd is not fun to drive anywhere lol.

Plus I already have a reliable g35 for when it doesn't snkw

Gx 470 is terrible on gas, an automatic, and not very good looking

Yea. If you remove the AWD requirement you could open up a whole range of weekend toys that might be good. I had a auto land rover . But the v8's in the lexus and toyota truks will last forever with proper care. For your price point you also dont want to be stuck with a dud. The R32 when it gets older, everything starts disintegrating. I dont come by them often at my shop but when we do, its usually a major problem.

I bought an auto be more involved in my uninvolvedness . 200k+ Club

If you can't blind them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit.

My high mileage turd.

Yes let me just own two cars that I'm completely uninterested in lmao.

I have a G35, like I already said. I asked a question and you're giving me super irrelevant responses.

I want a car that's more interesting than an automatic gx470 for snow days.

Essentially this thread boils down to not being able to fix stupid.

OP, if you want something fun to drive that is used and abused (all of your choices will be) have at it. I hope you're good at wrenching on shit yourself.

Yes let me just own two cars that I'm completely uninterested in lmao.

I have a G35, like I already said. I asked a question and you're giving me super irrelevant responses.

I want a car that's more interesting than an automatic gx470 for snow days.

Interesting, or capable, or reliable?

Interesting - find an F-body Camaro or similar vintage Corvette or Mustang :lol:

Reliable - you already have it

Capable - legacy gt is a possibility - if you're ok with it not being totally reliable in the way a Honda/Toyota is. Maybe even less reliable than your g35. Just know that there are tons of threads on here of "just bought an lgt, and I'm getting a CEL/smoke - they said it has a new turbo, so I should be ok, right?" which end up in #YNANSB (you need a new short block), or $6-8k of repairs, within the first month, because some asshole dumped their problem off on you. And the 5-speeds have had a few issues with 5th gear on some cars, especially if they're been tuned. Same with the 5EAT. Your budget is $10k - do you have ANOTHER $10k to fix it if everything goes wrong in 2 months? Odds are it won't - but it might.

I've gone 130k on my '05 LGT wagon, and it's still doing well - but I pre-emptively replaced the vf40 with a bnr16g at ~63k miles, because too many people were having oil starvation issues. I also had to have the front diff rebuilt and added a Hexmods F1 a couple of years ago. I've EASILY put $15-20k into my car in the last 12 years - some upgrades, some repairs.

You're probably BETTER off getting a WRX wagon for $10k than an LGT - easier to find with a manual, less issues with turbos dying, AFAIK. Probably more parts available too. Of course, a 3.0/3.6 legacy/outback is also pretty capable without the turbo issues.

Do you like the g35? What about a g37x? I hear its awd is pretty good. Plus you already have a similar car, so lots of your knowledge probably transfers. And a lot less likely to need a new engine.

We don't say this because we hate our cars - mine puts a smile on my face almost every time I drive it as long as it's not 100% stop-and-go. But, I also know that any day I could come home and say "Dear wife, the car died, time to buy a new one". I've already budgeted for it, etc.. There's no warranty on these cars - when you say "my budget is $10K at most", you're only looking at well-worn cars - especially because the 5 speeds are rare, and people want more $$ for them. They might still give you 10-20k trouble-free miles. Or not. And then you'll come back here and be pissed at us that we didn't warn you. Which we're trying to do.

These cars can be extremely fun - but also extremely frustrating. We'd rather have you pass on buying an LGT, than become another "I can't afford to fix the engine - I spent my entire budget buying the car because I wanted some fun!!" thread.. We've seen too many.

Interesting, or capable, or reliable?

....I also know that any day I could come home and say "Dear wife, the car died, time to buy a new one"... They might still give you 10-20k trouble-free miles. Or not. And then you'll come back here and be pissed at us that we didn't warn you. Which we're trying to do.

These cars can be extremely fun - but also extremely frustrating. We'd rather have you pass on buying an LGT, than become another "I can't afford to fix the engine - I spent my entire budget buying the car because I wanted some fun!!" thread.. We've seen too many.

THIS! These people are giving you the best advice available, and for free! You're smart for asking here but FFS PLEASE listen to these guys. This exact scenario has literally happened to hundreds of turbo subie 2nd hand owners, myself included, and not even 50 miles from the place of purchase. The cars are a blast, but the motors shouldn't be considered "reliable".

Archived