LegacyGT.com

Wrong Differential fluid for Legacy 3.6R?

I have a 2013 Legacy 3.6R, bought with just under 30K. Did the 30K service shortly after. Brake fluid flush, oil change, dif fluid change.

I gave my local dealer my VIN and requested everything from the parts Dept. Except the oil and brake fluid, which I got elsewhere.

Now the car has 50k, and it's time for dif fluid again. I was reading about what fluids people use and discovered 75W-90 is called for.

I found the dealer sold me Limited Slip Differential Gear Oil, 80w-90.

I thought that only the WRX has a limited slip and not the Legacy?

Was using this a problem at all, or is this ok?

Thanks.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

You want to use synthetic GL-5 75W90 gear oil. Using NS is not a good idea in this case. Motul Gear 300, Valvoline or Castrol are good choices, but as long as the oil meets the spec, it should be fine.

Some Legacies do have a limited slip rear diff. However, these diffs are the viscous coupling type and so don't need NS gear oil.

You want to use synthetic GL-5 75W90 gear oil. Using NS is not a good idea in this case. Motul Gear 300, Valvoline or Castrol are good choices, but as long as the oil meets the spec, it should be fine.

Some Legacies do have a limited slip rear diff. However, these diffs are the viscous coupling type and so don't need NS gear oil.

My 3.6R gets amsoil 75-90 severe gear. But yes synthetic only

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Using limited slip oil in an ordinary diff is not a problem, it's a problem the other way around as oil not for limited slip differentials may damage them.

Viscosity factor isn't a big deal, the worst is a bit higher fuel consumption in your case, but hardly noticeable.

Don't lose sleep over this.

453747.png

Using limited slip oil in an ordinary diff is not a problem, it's a problem the other way around as oil not for limited slip differentials may damage them.

Viscosity factor isn't a big deal, the worst is a bit higher fuel consumption in your case, but hardly noticeable.

Don't lose sleep over this.

I suspected this was the case, thanks.

Guess I'll just be getting the crush washers from the dealer then!

How did your rear diff fluid look at 30K? Just curious.
It was a gray metallic color already, pretty gross looking. The magnetic plug had a fine layer of debris on it as well. I'm not sure if the first break-in fluid wears faster, but I decided to do it after 20k the 2nd time to be sure.

Can't see why the schedule says only inspect at every 30k interval. From what I saw, it should be replaced every 30k at minimum.

Gonna go with Lucas Synthetic 75W-90 this time.

...Can't see why the schedule says only inspect at every 30k interval. From what I saw, it should be replaced every 30k at minimum...
Changing every 30K is a good plan. As to why the schedule says inspect, I have to think they want to minimize the stated maintenance costs for sales and marketing reasons.

Another example -- the timing belt service in the U.S. is every 105K miles or 105 months. In Europe, it is 105K km (66K miles) or 60 months, I believe. Yet, the components are similar if not identical.

It was a gray metallic color already, pretty gross looking. The magnetic plug had a fine layer of debris on it as well. I'm not sure if the first break-in fluid wears faster, but I decided to do it after 20k the 2nd time to be sure.

Can't see why the schedule says only inspect at every 30k interval. From what I saw, it should be replaced every 30k at minimum.

Gonna go with Lucas Synthetic 75W-90 this time.

I've found the same result with mine at 40k miles. I'm pretty sure they didn't change it when I got my car at 38k. It came out a grey metallic as well. I think they should replace it at 15k then do every 30k after that. I used Amsoil Severe Gear 75w90 and this time it came out a dark orange but much better than that 40k change. This was at 30k so Amsoil helped out a lot.

I wonder though because I found a sliver of metal about 2mm long on the magnet with a bit of debris this time. Now 1000 later after the change I'm getting a whining sound and ears are pointing towards the rear. I'm taking it in soon to get it checked out. Gold plus warranty for another year or 30k miles. Along with this it's consuming a good amount of oil. I'd guess maybe half a quart in 1200 miles. I've been seeing this for at least a year now. I might be in for a consumption test as well.

I've found the same result with mine at 40k miles. I'm pretty sure they didn't change it when I got my car at 38k. It came out a grey metallic as well. I think they should replace it at 15k then do every 30k after that. I used Amsoil Severe Gear 75w90 and this time it came out a dark orange but much better than that 40k change. This was at 30k so Amsoil helped out a lot.

I wonder though because I found a sliver of metal about 2mm long on the magnet with a bit of debris this time. Now 1000 later after the change I'm getting a whining sound and ears are pointing towards the rear. I'm taking it in soon to get it checked out. Gold plus warranty for another year or 30k miles. Along with this it's consuming a good amount of oil. I'd guess maybe half a quart in 1200 miles. I've been seeing this for at least a year now. I might be in for a consumption test as well.

I've had similar oil loss. I have only 9k left on the Power train warranty so I plan to get it checked as well.

Archived