LegacyGT.com

Timing belt off a tooth

Recently changed t belt, water pump with Dayco kit. Ran fine for 2 weeks. While accelerating onto highway got the blinking CE misfire light. Codes for cylinders 1 and 3. I'm ASSUMING the Dayco tensioner failed. Bought a new OEM tensioner, will replace this week end. My question is, if in fact my timing is off by a tooth or two, will this cause damage if I continue driving on a daily basis? Car runs fine accept for slighty slower acceleration, I did change all plugs, wires, and coil with OEM parts. Misfire code still showing. Thanks in advance for Any info.

I hear you, but don't see the misfires being a coincidence 2 weeks after changing the belt. Forgot to mention I also replaced the crank pulley with a Perrin lightweight pulley. Heard of codes being thrown using these too.
Did your car have the timing belt guides over the crankshaft and the cams? If so, did you adjust those to the right clearance?

Redo the timing, put the stock crank pulley back on. Why would you even fathom driving with a condition that could lead to catastrophic failure when two hours checking over your work could prevent it ?

On an EJ you don't want to deal with rebuilds until you are forced to:)

Archived