LegacyGT.com

Headlights keep burning out

I posted a while ago about switching to LED lights. I have had to switch out halogen bulbs every few months. They just keep burning out. I was sick of having to replace them so frequently.

I tried switching to LED lights because they are supposed to be more reliable and last much longer. Well, after having them in for 3 months I have some burned out again. I bought different brands of bulbs for my fogs than for my low beams. Both of my fogs are burned out (don't turn on when I flip the switch) and one of my headlights is burned out. Well the headlight I would call mostly burned out? It is very dim in comparison to the other headlight.

Now, I have not yet removed the bulbs to check to see if they are visibly burned out. The fogs are a bit of an issue to get to especially with no floor jack. The low beam bulbs come with a lifetime warranty and I already have a replacement on the way so I will likely wait until I get that to replace the one that is burned out.

The biggest reason I'm posting is to find out if anyone else has had these kinds of issues with their bulbs burning out so frequently. I am strongly considering getting my car in to have it checked for an electrical issue.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

As far as electrical things go I don't have a lot of experience, know how or tools to test with.

I leave mine on all the time. Do you really think turning them off has a big impact on the life of a bulb? Even for LEDs which are supposed to last a long time?
LED lifetime claims are really misleading. While the lamp itself may have a long life, there is circuitry that drives it and so the entire package may not be so reliable. Moisture can lead to corrosion. Excess heat shortens the lifespan. Voltage spikes can damage them (probably why the earlier poster switches them off before cranking the engine). These things can be mitigated in design but that raises the cost.

For reference these are the bulbs that I bought. They are marketed on their site as "Lasts 5-10 Times Longer than standard halogen bulbs. 100% water, shock, dust and rumble-proof." I understand that could just be an internal marketing scheme but I know from experience elsewhere that LED is generally more reliable and longer lasting than halogen. And this product does seem pretty well made.

Still, maybe there is something to turning them off when turning the car on. That doesn't seem like it should be necessary to me. I have never had this issue in another car. It honestly seems a bit ridiculous that I should have to do it on this car. It also seems like that is pandering to an underlying problem rather than fixing it. If this is a common issue is there a resolution for it that anyone is aware of?

As for moisture durability

of a very similarly built bulb being completely submersed.

Halogen bulbs typically carry a warning about touching the bulb before putting it in. I would think that between the two that the halogen bulb would be the more sensitive to moisture. I was a bit concerned about it as my CAN BUS doesn't fit on behind these bulbs and I had to modify them by cutting a hole in the back. The package recommends leaving them off but I figured some protection was better than no protection. But maybe I caused more problem than I solved? Perhaps I caused an issue of too much heat being retained in the housing.

For reference these are the bulbs that I bought...

They advertise a lifetime warranty, can you take them up on that?

Maybe they are good, I don't know. I tend to be skeptical by nature. If the salesman's lips are moving, he's lying. Usually when the marketing material shouts "German Technology" or "German Design" it is made in some factory in China to the lowest possible cost.

If you have a multi-meter, it is fairly easy to check your alternator and battery. Might be worth doing.

As for moisture durability
of a very similarly built bulb being completely submersed.

Halogen bulbs typically carry a warning about touching the bulb before putting it in. I would think that between the two that the halogen bulb would be the more sensitive to moisture. I was a bit concerned about it as my CAN BUS doesn't fit on behind these bulbs and I had to modify them by cutting a hole in the back. The package recommends leaving them off but I figured some protection was better than no protection. But maybe I caused more problem than I solved? Perhaps I caused an issue of too much heat being retained in the housing.

You might be on to something with the heat. Those bulbs need free airflow.

Moisture is one thing, corrosion is a longer-term problem that can lead to failure in the circuitry. It is a chemical process.

I am taking them up on that. They are in the mail currently.

I am skeptical too. That is why now I'm wondering after trying several halogen bulbs and two different types of LED bulbs if I might have an issue with my wiring or something non-bulb related causing problems with my headlights. Just trying to find the common denominator here.

Experienced this issue with my 2001 RS, my 2005 GT wagon (DRL defeated), 2002 WRX (DRL defeated) and my lady friend's 2009 Lego 2.5.

Haven't owned my current 2005 GT sedan or my 2008 GT sedan long enough to determine if it will happen with either car but there is a trend based off my time of ownership. At least once a year I'm replacing headlights in the Subarus while my 2005 4Runner held onto the factory original bulbs for almost 10 years.

Just replaced the passenger side bulb in my 2010 Tundra 2 months ago.

No other vehicle I have owned burns thru headlights like the Subarus do.

bergs: Well, at least it is nice to know that I'm not the only one. My 97 Legacy GT I never had an issue with. The lights that I got the car with lasted the life of the car. My wife even drove it (accidentally) through 4ft deep water for 30ft with the hood of the car completely submerged and the car made it through with no problem at all. I figured that would have done the lights in for sure, among other problems but no issues at all.

This 06 on the other hand... man, I feel like I should invest in stock for headlights at the rate I have had to replace them. I wish I knew the cause. Or if anyone else has experience in overcoming the issue I am all ears!

I leave mine on all the time. Do you really think turning them off has a big impact on the life of a bulb? Even for LEDs which are supposed to last a long time?

I turn them off to avoid inconsistent voltage to the bulbs while the engine is cranking low or high voltage either way can shorten the life of them

• 4 months later...

Got another burned out bulb already. So they lasted what?... over 4 months I guess. That is still about twice as long as my halogens had been lasting.

I wish I could blame it on something simple like Michigan weather but I have never had bulbs burn out this fast in any car. It doesn't seem to matter if I have halogens or LEDs. I am disappointed that the LEDs are not lasting as long as they should. For the record these are Xenonpro LEDs. Their support SUCKS ASS but at least they are lifetime warranty and have had no problems replacing them. I guess I can be happy that at least I don't have to pay for replacements.

I still don't really turn them off when turning the car off. It is a force of habit thing. I'm just too used to leaving them on all the time. I feel like if that does influence bulb life at all then it is still a problem with how the car is built. Outside of that suggestion not sure what else I could do to help the situation.

Also to be accurate the driver's side bulb is the one that is burnt out. Well, not completely. It is currently just kinda flickering. I have tried the troubleshooting listed on Xenonpro's site consisting of trying to reverse polarity (which makes the bulb not come on at all) and swapping drivers/passenger's bulbs (just changes which side has the issue). The car doesn't need a set of warning cancellers / capacitors as it predates that requirement.

As for their customer service/support (or lack thereof) here is a record of trying to get my issue taken care of:

Xenonpro support,

One of my bulbs has failed again. This is actually the second time it has failed. I went to take advantage of your online chat support and as you can see from the attached screenshot no one was available to chat with. It is within your stated business hours. As you can see from my second screenshot that when I tried to contact you previously via email support I was told to use your online chat. Not having any other options at my disposal I tried contacting your phone support and was told by your employee "Mike" that there is no telephone support option.

I'm not sure how you would recommend that we contact your support if we cannot do it via the live chat and we cannot do it via email and we cannot do it via phone. I did call back your phone number to see if I could reach anyone and explain to them that I have no other way of contacting anyone at your company but now no one is answering. I left a message on your voicemail which assures me that I will be receiving a call back.

I would love to have the opportunity to chat with someone regarding this issue. This is the second time one of the bulbs that I have from you is failing. Right now it is just flickering and I am sure that it will burn out like the last one did. I have tried all troubleshooting that I can think of and everything I found mentioned in your troubleshooting to no avail. I would love to be contacted back. If you would like to call me please feel free to do so at

unnamed.thumb.jpg.5f388f13cf4e56a810d918c2c8723d32.jpg

Archived