LegacyGT.com

Headliner Mounting

So I was cruising with my sunroof open, and noticed the back of my headliner flapping around in the rearview mirror. The corners are attached, but its not supported anywhere else across the back edge. I ran my hand behind it but couldn't feel any clips or something that would have held it up. Is it just not supported and I've never noticed it, or is it supposed to be attached to something?

There are most definitely some clips along the back, they're just not at the edge, they look to be several inches forward of the rear window. Look at the diagram below.

http://parts.subaru.com/a/Subaru_2013_Legacy36L-5AT-4WDR-Premium-Sedan/_54103_6029319/ROOF-TRIM/B14-942-01.html

yup - they are definitely there (had to undo them when I changed out the satellite antenna for a painted one a while back) - I have always wondered if the folks who have had their headliners flopping around had the connectors pop off the headliner or something like that.

Pushed up all around in the rearmost foot or so, and it felt secure like the clips were where they should be. Pushing about 3-4 inches back made a sound as if there was some adhesive that had separated. In the diagram its just labelled as "cushion".

DrD123- Do you recall if this "cushion" was sticky on both sides or is there some other adhesive tape back there?

I don't recall having to deal with any adhesive (granted, it was 4 and a half years ago that I did the "operation"). I pulled out the trim panels along the c-pillars, removed the assist handle things over the two doors, then got my fingers under there to the clips and released them. At that point, I was able to stick my head back against the rear window and see/access the cable/connector to the satellite antenna, remove that, remove the nut, then install the painted one I replaced it with. Putting it back was more or less the same operation. One thing to note - the clips are not attached to the headliner - they go into holder things (sort of like most of the other trim) - so you can buy the clips separately if they are broken, or re-insert them in the headliner if they have come disconnected. Mine didn't come free of the headliner when I changed the antenna, but the parts diagram shows them as separate pieces (with their own part number)

I had the same issue a few months ago and looked for some solutions on here. A couple people had the dealer replace the entire headliner under warranty. one dude paid something like $700 to repair it. lol, nuts to that. mine was only flopping around where the center clip near the rear window is. here's what i did...

I gently pulled down the headliner near the window and peeked above it to see where that clip was located. I discovered that it's the type of clip that slides into a slot, rather than a pop-it style clip. Reach in and pull that bad boy out.

Scrape off all of the old adhesive and slather on some super glue meant for fabrics and plastics. Make sure you wear some rubber gloves since the side with the glue will be facing down when you put it back in. It can get drippy. Reach back in above the liner and get that clip back into place. Immediately press up on the headliner where the clip is located and hold it there for a a good 20 seconds so it bonds.

Now take an old broom handle and prop it up vertically from the seat to the roof so it keeps pressure on the glue and clip. Leave it in place for a couple hours.

You'll want to test fit that stick/broom handle length before you break out that glue so you aren't scrambling at the last minute.

good luck!

Finally got around to investigating, and its exactly this ^. All of the clips were in place, but the "receivers" on the headliner had ALL come unglued. I was able to get the center one out, but there's no way I'm getting at the ones on the end with it still held up at the corners. Sounds like either a long project or some alternative method is in order.

Archived