LegacyGT.com

Odd issues! Possibly ECM?

I am dealing with multiple seemingly unrelated issues on a 96 Legacy L Wagon with the 2.2 automatic awd. Rear window defrost created a draw, so I disconnected it at the window. Ignition lock randomly knocks for an extended time such as 10 minutes unless I slap the dash to shut it up. Cruise control will work as long as headlights are off but not when they are on. Climate control blows through previous selection for 20 minutes or longer before it switches to the current setting. Very randomly the check engine light will come on and leave a code indicating number 3 misfire (this is recent up until the last week it was number 2). I have replaced the coil, wires and plugs, and still have the misfire randomly. I also replaced the ignition switch and the illumination control module. Car will stall once on way to work but refire and behave as it it should.

Any ideas?

One thing keeps coming to my mind is the computer. Anyone know of a place to take the computer to have it tested off the car? In Wisconsin or surrounding states?

Add a bunch of different ground wires to the engine bay, as in add some from battery to chassis, battery to motor, motor to chassis etc. This is to fix the weird power things, the defroster has a short in it if it's drawing power while not turned on. If your car is stalling and misfiring, then is there a CEL? If there is no CEL and it's acting like that then it's probably O2 sensors needing replacement. O2 sensor CELs will come and go but the symptoms will persist.

The car appears well grounded by the fact that I find no stray voltage when using a multimeter with the ground wire to the negative post on the battery and the positive lead touching the block, heads, intake, exhaust or body. The shorted defroster is why I leave the wires unplugged. Yes, the Check Engine Light comes on and that is why I determined previously a number 2 misfire and now a number 3 misfire. The misfire only lasts a few seconds to perhaps a minute at longest then it goes away. It does not act up until I am driving down the road and by the time I get pulled off the road the engine has stalled and when restarted it runs fine again.

Mine did something similar to that with the whole misfire deal. Noticed it got really bad on bumpy roads especially so did some inspection and the connections on my coil pack weren't all the way on which caused arcing and a ashy coating over the connections. Sanded them down and got new plug wires so they would really snap on and it hasn't given me an issue since

Archived