LegacyGT.com

2006 GT Turbo Help

My turbo is done and I need a new one. I've been trying to do some research as to if I should get a VF40 or a VF46. Almost all VF46's I've found are listed as 07 or newer. Can anyone confirm the only bolt on and no mods needed turbo I can get is a VF40? Any advice would be appreciated. I am not a super knowledgeable about all of this so figured someone might have advice. Seems to be very little information on the 06 GT overall.

Just wanted to make sure the old one didn't blow up, sending shards of metal into your oil system, oil cooler, etc.

*If you have time, it wouldn't hurt to go into a little more detail about your situation I think. I'm no turbo expert, but I think it could be helpful to the other guys here.

Praying it didn't since we just replaced everything. Got 6.8 miles down the road and it died....

So will a VF46 bolt right on with no modifications or do I need to stick to the VF40?

What's everything? I definitely would not just slap a new turbo on there as it stands right now, even knowing as little as I do about LGT's. I've read too many horror stories here...

The motor was just rebuilt. Honestly not sure what all was replaced. I have to replace the turbo no matter what else is wrong so I'm trying to find out if I have options outside of the VF40 or not.

Vf52 will also directly bolt on but will need a tune for it. vf 46 will also bolt on and should be tuned,

To bad you have not been here for a while, lots of info here about your problem.

1st, you need to,

make sure there no metal particles in the oil system

check the banjo filter on the back of the passenger side head, it should have no metal in it.

Tell us why the engine blew and how bad was it

what does the old turbo look like, how bad is it

you say 6.8 miles on the rebuild, what was done for the rebuild, was everything cleaned by a machine and they made sure there was no metal particles left.

were the heads rebuilt by a good machine shop

was the oil cooler, oil pump replaced all oil tubes cleaned out?

your catted up pipe should be replaced with a catless one.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Vf52 will also directly bolt on but will need a tune for it. vf 46 will also bolt on and should be tuned,

To bad you have not been here for a while, lots of info here about your problem.

1st, you need to,

make sure there no metal particles in the oil system

check the banjo filter on the back of the passenger side head, it should have no metal in it.

Tell us why the engine blew and how bad was it

what does the old turbo look like, how bad is it

you say 6.8 miles on the rebuild, what was done for the rebuild, was everything cleaned by a machine and they made sure there was no metal particles left.

were the heads rebuilt by a good machine shop

was the oil cooler, oil pump replaced all oil tubes cleaned out?

your catted up pipe should be replaced with a catless one.

Piston 3 melted. Have new piston, rings, heads where machines, 2 valves replaced, some random new parts like MAF/O2/Wire harness/Cam Fly Wheel, seals, gaskets, replaced most hoses, block was honed, etc a lot to list and remember. Oil system was completely gone through. It was taken completely apart and everything needing replacement was done. When I got it back the first time the dipstick seal wasn't set correctly and it leaked oil, which I believe is what caused the turbo failure. The first time I got it back I drove it about 150 miles before having an issue. Torque shaft snap ring broke, ring 4 burnt, and the 2 cables had to be replaced. Second time I got it back is when it went 6.8 miles before failing. I am not a very knowledgeable car guy so I'm trying to explain as best as possible. The damage done from the turbo going out is currently unknown as my mechanic won't be pulling it apart until tomorrow. Just trying to get a jump on what to do about finding a turbo. I've basically exhausted my funds for this and need to do it as cheaply as possible. Trying to avoid buying a knock off turbo for cheap and driving scared of it blowing up. I did find a guy locally with a VF40 with 5000 miles on it for very cheap, so I am thinking of going with that for now. I did know I needed to get catless up pipe eventually.

I know there are tons of turbo threads and such on the forums, but most are too technical for me so I greatly appreciate the responses.

It doesn't appear that your engine failure was the result of a failed turbo which in turn results in the engine failure. However, IMO, it's too coincidental that 6.8 miles after the engine was rebuilt the turbo failed.

Make sure the mechanic checks the banjo filter on the back of the passenger side head.

Most of us remove both banjo filters when we know what's going on in the engine. I have had both removed when the ej257 short block went in 90,000+ miles ago. My vf52 has over 100,000 miles and has zero shaft play.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Yeah engine stalled out and wouldn't restart that day, but when we went and towed it, the engine ran so that's a positive sign atleast. Unfortunately the guy with the used stock turbo has ghosted on me so it's back to hunting one down I can afford.

Lot's of guy's use JmP6889928 for rebuilding turbo's PM him or my Tuner will too. http://www.tuningalliance.com emails work great with Mike.

I was given a TD04L, but it turns out it's not the right one. It has a straight tube to the intercooler and not a flange to bolt on. Seems to be for an 02-07 WRX, 04-06 Baja, and 04-07 Forester. Guessing there is no work around which sucks because it appears to be very solid and have less than 5k miles on it after being sent out and rebuilt. (Don't know where, but it appears to be a solid turbo. Any clue what to ask for to sell this?

not sure what your budget is but if the turbo housings look good then you can replace the CHRA for super super cheap, I replaced mine on my VF46 for around $300 and it's essentially a new turbo now.

Super easy and straight forward to do.

Archived