LegacyGT.com

Radio Problem

So none of this started happening until after the second time I took my car back after the new dash install. Randomly, when I'm driving with the radio or CD on, there will be a really loud pop from the speakers like someone dropped a mic or something. Then it all cuts off, including the display for the climate control. This unbearable pop will continue until I actually press the knob to turn the stereo off. After that, everything is back to normal. It will do this at least once every time I drive it.

I'm afraid this is going to mess multiple things up. Does this sound like a loose connection or something from them having stuff out to do the dash? I've emailed the people I dealt with at the dealership about it, but have gotten no response. By the way, my car is an 05 Limited Wagon, 5EAT, dual climate control blah blah...

Any help is greatly appreciated!

I'm afraid this is going to mess multiple things up. Does this sound like a loose connection or something from them having stuff out to do the dash? I've emailed the people I dealt with at the dealership about it, but have gotten no response. By the way, my car is an 05 Limited Wagon, 5EAT, dual climate control blah blah...

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Yes. It does sound like a loose connection. Check the back of the radio unit and make sure all the connections are snug. And see how it goes.

There must be some walk-thru on the forum for this. But essentially

you have to take off the gear shift cover with cigarette lighter

the two fake wood garnish on the side of the radio

then take out the 6 (or 8 screws) holding the head unit.

then pull the head unit and check out the connectors.

Yea, I was wondering about it just starting to go out bc of age too.

Now I'm having a separate problem. I've had the car 2 years now and yesterday it started running hotter than normal for the first time. I was in traffic, 95 degrees out and the AC running pretty hard. Once I started moving it would cool down. But it seemed like a wide range of temperature. I turned my BtSsm on and I was getting coolant temps from 190 moving to 220 sitting. When I got home I noticed the drivers side fan was't running (even after letting it sit there and letting the coolant temp get up to 110). Could it be the fan? Relay? ECM? The car is an early 05 and I read about some of the issues they had. Could it be something with what the radio is doing? I have yet to doubt this car but kind of nervous after the whole ordeal yesterday!

Yea, I was wondering about it just starting to go out bc of age too.

Now I'm having a separate problem. I've had the car 2 years now and yesterday it started running hotter than normal for the first time. I was in traffic, 95 degrees out and the AC running pretty hard. Once I started moving it would cool down. But it seemed like a wide range of temperature. I turned my BtSsm on and I was getting coolant temps from 190 moving to 220 sitting. When I got home I noticed the drivers side fan was't running (even after letting it sit there and letting the coolant temp get up to 110). Could it be the fan? Relay? ECM? The car is an early 05 and I read about some of the issues they had. Could it be something with what the radio is doing? I have yet to doubt this car but kind of nervous after the whole ordeal yesterday!

Plug the diagnostic connectors (green connectors in the passenger footwell, together and the fans will cycle through a test. If the fans work then it's likely a restriction in your radiator and time for a new one (I had the same problem and it ended up being the radiator).

Plug the diagnostic connectors (green connectors in the passenger footwell, together and the fans will cycle through a test. If the fans work then it's likely a restriction in your radiator and time for a new one (I had the same problem and it ended up being the radiator).

Thanks! I'll give that a try!

Well, just tried it. Got lots of clicks like the AC compressor and the passenger side fan would come on, but the drivers side fan never did anything...Bad fan?

I'd say it's likely. Both my fans cycle when I plug in the connector. It would explain the issue you're experiencing.

Not sure.

Have you tried unplugging the fan that is not working and hooking up directly to the battery? Quick check to see if it works.

I've also read last night that the fan could actually be failing, where its bearing dries up or something, making the fan harder to spin, and thereby prone to destroy the relay. Something like that..

looks like there are at least two relays controlling the fans. So that could be the issue. Easiest way to find out is swap the fans to see if the second one still works. I'd doubt it'd be dead actually

I'd say it would be easier to swap the relays. I believe I did just that when I was troubleshooting my cooling fan issue.

Archived