LegacyGT.com

Pressure leak on turbo

Hi. I have a VF40 on my 05 LGT and was doing boost testing today as the car is whistling and having issues hitting boost targets. I found a leak at the turbo-TMIC, fixed with a couple of turns on the bolts, then noticed very small bubbles at the turbo housing from the seam where the wastegate bracket bolts up. Both of these leaks showed up at 5psi or so.

What's the best option here? Is the turbo shot?

I have a VF52 to swap in, but want tot do a DP at the same time, which I don't have yet.

The vf52 is a nice turbo.

You will need a tune for that turbo, as you will for the DP.

You may be able to find a used DP in the for sale forum here.

You'll also want to get a catless up pipe.

I recommend http://www.tuningalliance.com for your parts and tuning needs.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

The car already has a catless up, accessport, intake, turbo inlet, and cb exhaust.

I was chasing boost leaks as part of my TA Etune when I found the leak on the VF40.

I've been holding off on the turbo swap as I wanted to do the DP and maybe tmic upgrade at the same time, and I have neither. I wanted to get the basic gremlins worked out before I beat the car up too much.

Leak at seam where the WG bolts up,

I think you may need to back those screws out and see why its leaking there.

Or ask Mike of TA, he may know how it could leak there as he rebuilds turbot's too.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I have an EBCS to swap at the same time I do the DP and VF52. Is a fuel pump really needed for a VF52?

No, only if you want to maximize the turbo out without any fuel cuts.

My wife's balls are delicious.

Archived