LegacyGT.com

Suspension Dilemma from a selling perspective

After putting the rear KYB dampers with the rear stock springs on my 2.5i, I am starting to remember how crappy the stock springs/dampers are. The KYB that are 5-10% stiffer and at 1st glance don't seem to be solving any of the stock suspension issues; some of it could be just the imbalance of the 1" lower front Koni/Eibach vs rear stock height KYB/stock springs.

I was planning to finish my suspension swap and putting the KYB/stock front springs into my 2.5i this weekend. However, I am starting to think about putting set of Eibachs (which I already have and was going to sell) with the KYB and putting back in the rear Eibachs and selling my 2.5i that way. Eibachs don't to seem to have much of a market value and my car is already aligned for the ride height of Eibachs. The stock springs would require an alignment. I also haven't had much luck with my sales of 5th Gen Legacy parts either. The cost of an alignment plus stock springs is probably more expensive vs selling the Eibach, but the cost is minimal (less $50) is not a deciding factor. I will likely sell my 2.5i locally through craigslist.

With the Eibach/KYB, the car will drive a hell of a lot better, but will the lowering springs be a deterrent to potential buyer of my 2.5i?

I have to say I disagree. You're not selling the GT, so lowering for performance isn't going to be on the mind of someone looking at a NA 2.5.

You're up in MA so snow and ground clearance would be consideration.

Anyway, just my perspective

^^ While I agree with that, it's only a 1" drop and hardly noticeable, and minimal issues with traversing snow covered roads. The car still drives great and most people wouldn't know that it was lowered or think that the spring rates were too stiff. Chances are that it will be younger person purchasing a 5 year old car and it could very well be a selling point.

I'm a big fan of looking for cars that are very stock, and an inch drop is noticeable. Heck my drop is like a 1/2" and it's noticeable.

Odds are the person buying isn't going to care/notice how floaty the suspension is. It's not a sports sedan after all. Not many young people are looking to buy manual cars these days and given it's a subie you will most likely be selling to an older crowd .

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

I ended up deciding to use the stock springs. I realize I should have the car aligned either way since I removed the rear adjustable LCA (that would affect the rear toe). The rear camber with the lower springs and factory LCA would not be right IMO for the next owners. I also decided that I really didn't want to pull the rear suspension apart again. I am getting tired of pulling apart and reassembling struts.

Archived