LegacyGT.com

Resonation at speed

I'm curious if anyone else has a similar issue.

2016 3.6r.

At exactly 65 MPH a resonating hum starts in my car. It continues and gets a bit louder up to 68 then fades away as speed in increases.

Coming back down from speed it's opposite. Around 68 it slowly begins and increases up to 65. Once below 65 it disappears.

It's at road speed, not RPM. Slip it into neutral and it still sounds.

Drop it a gear to increase engine RPM and the noise doesn't change.

The car has done this since new and now has 38k. Original tires were replaced 6k ago with a new set of OEM tires.

I was thinking exhaust note but changing engine speed doesn't affect it.

The noise has never got worse or better. Lateral load changes on the car do not change it so I don't believe it's a wheel bearing.

Out of ideas.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

If u can isolate where it is coming from, you may want to rotate the tires and see if the sound persists. If it moves with the rotation, that tells you a lot. If not, I'd go to that corner and give it a good visual inspection. I'd be particularly suspicious of the wheel bearing.

Tires have been replaced, no change.

Tires have been rotated, no change.

I have not been able to isolate the noise to any area or component.

Road conditions make no change to the noise.

Wheel bearings tend to get louder over time and the noise can be changed or eliminated with lateral load changes to the car. This noise never changes.

It's good to hear other 3.6 owners have had the same or similar experience, that tells me it's a nature of the beast and not necessarily something wrong with the car.

Just got back from a road trip, noise remains unchanged, mileage was 30mpg. Car performed well, I could not be happier with the ride quality and features.

Archived