LegacyGT.com

New Transmission - 6MT or WRX 5MT?

witzode

I have a 2005 Legacy GT making 325whp/350wtq. My 5MT is going and need to replace it. My options are a 6 speed from an STI or a 5 speed from a 2011 WRX. Obviously the STI would be sick, but not sure how necessary it is as I don't track the car. It's not a DD either. With the 5MT from the WRX I would have an rear open differential.

Any suggestions or opinions? The 5 speed would obviously be cheaper as well.

6-speed is going to be more expensive to install as you need a lot more than the transmission itself; differential, drive shaft, axles, etc., but they are nearly bulletproof

The new 5-speed might last, or it might not, but you don't need anything else. I'd just rebuild the one that you have in there, might be the cheapest option.

Unless the center diff gearing is different in the WRX 5-speed, you'd not need anything another and can keep your GT one.

5mt, get Moore Performance Blast Plates for it. I love them, the 5mt shifts so much better, never fights me any more going into 3rd gear at high rpm.

Really the tranny is that much better with them.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

5mt, get Moore Performance Blast Plates for it. I love them, the 5mt shifts so much better, never fights me any more going into 3rd gear at high rpm.

Really the tranny is that much better with them.

Thanks guys. I'm going with the 5MT. I couldn't justify the cost since i'm not tracking the car or driving in the snow. I already have moore blast plates so that works our perfectly.

Tell us if you agree with what I'm saying about the plates ?

Would like to hear more then just my thought's.

Oh yea, Motul gear 300 for a the fluid.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Tell us if you agree with what I'm saying about the plates ?

Would like to hear more then just my thought's.

Oh yea, Motul gear 300 for a the fluid.

can't say to be honest. I purchased the car with the blast plates so I've never driven a legacy without them.

Why do you have an open rear diff? I thought the Legacy GTs had a viscous rear LSD for the r160

Correct. i don't currently have one but i'll be putting in a 2011 WRX transmission, which requires me to change the diff to an open diff. I could put in another LGT transmission but it will be old and high mileage. I haven't beeen able to find a shop to rebuild current transmission. I figure a newer and WRX 5MT will be equal or stronger than an 05 LGT 5MT. These were the options a shop laid out to me (high mileage 05 LGT 5MT, 05/06 STI 6MT, 2011 WRX 5MT with open diff)

I would think it should be easy to find a tranny shop that will rebuild yours. I have no problem finding good repair shops.

Where do you live ?

I would think it should be easy to find a tranny shop that will rebuild yours. I have no problem finding good repair shops.

Where do you live ?

I live in central NJ. Do you think a rebuilt LGT 5MT is better than a 2011 WRX 5MT? This transmission was already rebuilt before I purchased the car, so not sure I want to have it rebuilt a second time.

I live in central NJ. Do you think a rebuilt LGT 5MT is better than a 2011 WRX 5MT? This transmission was already rebuilt before I purchased the car, so not sure I want to have it rebuilt a second time.

I always thought those two transmissions are exactly the same except maybe the center differential gear ratio.

Central NJ....contact www.AZPinstalls.com ask Mike or Rey who they recommend.

They may do themselves.

Archived