LegacyGT.com

Replacing '09 Legacy H/K Subwoofer

MrTwitchyMckat

I want to replace the factory H/K sub with something better since mine finally blew out. However I'm having little luck finding much information on how to do this. I saw a thread from 2 years back which gave me some information, but I'm still a little lost. I know that the opening is 6.5" and i would need a shallow sub. However I still don't know how many ohms the factory sub is, and if I could just buy a 4 ohm sub with the factory amp, or if I would need to buy an aftermarket amp as well.

Unfortunately I have no experience working on car audio systems, so I don't really know what to look for exactly. I plan on putting a new HU at some point in the future as well. If I needed a new amp, should I wait until then, or would it not make much of a difference?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

I did this on my '09 2.5i with the harmon kardon system...

I bought an 8" 4ohm shallow-mount Pioneer sub, and then widened the hole in the rear deck where the 6.5" sits and just wire it into the factory wires.

I just used a pair of vise-grip pliers to bend back the opening until it fit 8" (bend a little bit all around the circle, bend it down into the truck opening). Then drilled 4 new holes for mounting. Then used the factory sub wires and plugged them into the sub. Once you put the rear-deck cover back over the area you'll never see where you made the hole bigger. Just use the factory H/K grill that's glued into the deck cover.

The factory system is perfectly fine with an aftermarket sub, you don't need another amp.

You can use the factory amp but, you need to pair the correct sub to it to get the best result. For one, you are going to want to look for a free air sub. They don't require a specific enclosure size like most subs do. You also don't want a sub that requires a lot more power than the OEM amp supplies. Otherwise it won't be able to power the sub to its potential and may make it sound worse as a result. Also the impedance of the sub should match the amp so you get the full potential of the power available and so you don't drive the amp past its electrical capability and ruin it. I don't have an 09 so I can't give you the correct specs to go off of. Maybe someone else can chime in with the oem sub specs.

I just wanted to update this thread. I finished installing a new sub, and it is pretty solid. had to cut the factory wires since they were attached to a clip that goes into the factory sub. I spliced in my own two wires and ran those to the sub. Worked out pretty well, but the sub I ended up getting wasn't open air so it doesn't sound fantastic, but still better than a blown factory sub. Thanks for all the help!

• 1 month later...
Pull out the rear seat bottom. Then unbolt / unhook the side bolsters on the seat back. Fold down the rear seat (if it's not already). Pull off the push-pin plastic things holding the rear deck lid on. Pop off the 3rd brake light and unhook it. Then slide out the package tray / deck lid.

Archived