LegacyGT.com

Getting rid of the RE92s

neutrino60

I'm waiting for my GT Wagon to arrive, and I'd like to switch the tires right away - probably to PZero Nero M+S. My dealer wasn't as accommodating as SUBE555's and would not give me credit on the RE92s. I called a local tire dealer that sells both Bridgestone and Pirelli. He didn't want to do it either, saying the 215/45/17 size isn't popular enough to keep in stock. He recommended local want ads. Another friend recommended Ebay. What do most people do to get the most $ back for perfectly good - well, at least pefectly new - RE92s? Jim

You can always try the FS and your regional forums on NASIOC.com and eBay. Which dealership are you working with? Carter Subaru? I know some people had luck talking with SubieGal, Jamie Thomas.

Thanks for the suggestions. I did my test drive at Carter, and would have liked to have bought my car there, but the sales staff I was working with seemed to be much more concerned with maintaining high margins than selling cars. I ended up at Chaplin's, where they seemed to have a different attitude. The salesman at Carter also did not reply to my email question about credit for the tires, which I took as a "no". I suppose I don't have to have this all figured out by the time my car arrives; I can store the tires in my garage for a while, if necessary.

Some dealerships don't respond much to email, so if that's all you're trying, sorry, but you might get inadvertently passed by, but oh well. Live and learn. Not everyone is caught up in the information technology age just yet.

Well Jim you could also use those tyres if you had other rims for track work days. Not sure what yr road conditions are like over there but couldnt u just drive the car serioulsy hard and wear them out if you cant get rid of them. I have RE030's and they work really great here in Oz although yr conditions over there are a lot different. Not sure how the P-Zero's will go becuase of its soft compound but Im sure yr going to have finding out either way.... Another suggestions would be to try and sell them back to Subaru at say half price. The main Subaru dealer here in Oz sells tyres to Service clients and even though they say they couldnt sell them as new, i bet you the would.

Try ebay, or have fun wearing them out as quickly as possible. If you "test" your ABS every day, you can wear your tires down quickly. Take all turns aggressively (but not insanely), and the outside edges will wear out quickly. Taking your car to a track event, or an empty parking lot, and learning the limits of your car, is a fun way to wear down the RE92s :D

I spoke to the dealer that I am dealing with, and asked if they could swap out the tires (kinda like what Sube555 did). The salesperson told me that they could not do such a thing, and that I might try to go to a local tire store, and see if they could do something for me... So, I might have to check with one of the local tire dealers to see what they would hook me up with, or not, for that matter. Later, i.

Archived