LegacyGT.com

Compression test

Are there any benefits to having colder plugs? :confused:
If your current plugs really are too hot, yes. Too hot plugs could lead to pre-ignition by encouraging hot-spots in the cylinder. Pre-ignition can be extremely damaging to the motor.

Too cold plugs can become fouled more easily, and can make the car harder to start, especially when the engine temperature is low (wintertime).

Race cars tend to run colder plugs, since they are running flat-out all the time. So, I guess that means we should do the same with our daily driver cars since we are such extreme guys, always pushing the limits, right? :)

Hey, with a screen name like Max Capacity, I figure you must be an extreme kind of guy! ;)

Anyway, OP, don't overthink it, the point is there is an optimal spark plug heat range for your car and driving conditions, and you want to be in that range. There is no benefit to running cooler plugs than you actually need.

So I'm gonna just ask the mechanic to look at plugs and if they look like they are running hot then I will go colder...otherwise I'm gonna stick to stock heat range....Thanks for all the help and info....

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

In that case, he'll recommend you stay with stock heat range. Which is fine.

MilesA, I have been known to push it to the redline and beyond... LOL

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived