LegacyGT.com

New short block - knocking

ktm200

Just finished up a new short block Tuesday (also has rebuilt heads). Yesterday I was working on breaking it in. Did 50 miles then an oil change. During those 50 miles I followed the COBB website recommendations, no more than 3500rpm, stayed out of boost (less than 2psi), and just kept lightly accelerating (less than 30% TPS) then engine braking. Occasionally at the start of a slight incline (3rd gear 5EAT) right on a light throttle tip-in I would get quite a bit of feedback knock through the access port.

Two occasions it bounced between -5.2 and -7, if I let off the throttle and got back in it went right away. This would be right around 2000-2500rpm. I know I've read under load and light throttle/low rpm these cars can record some knock, but this seemed a bit much for my liking. I checked all my hose connections and everything seemed good. I'm running the OTS COBB stg2 91oct map while using Shell 93 gas. (mods include a catted downpipe, AVO TMIC, VF-48 billet wheel).

This something I should be worried about? Any ideas?

I'm at about 90miles right now. COBB's article said to start going up to 40% throttle input from 100-500miles so I plan on keeping an eye on it to see if it continues with higher throttle inputs. I tried datalogging a few times on inclines, will take a look tonight. If I was able to catch any with the log I'll post them. It will be a while before I get enough miles to do a proper WOT log.

Just asking did you do the first oil & filter change after the engine ran for 15-20 minutes ?

Your using your stg2 tune to break in the engine, correct ? not some break-in tune ?

I used my 21psi custom tune to break in my ej257. Just kept it out of any real boost for a short time.

I'm not a fan of babying the engine.

At 500 miles, after the 3rd oil change, we did a street tune just to make sure things were fine. Oil changes were at, 20 minutes, 100 miles, 500 miles.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Yes. Did an oil change after 20mins, then 50miles and will do another at 500mi and 1500mi.

Just the basic Cobb stage 2 91oct tune, no break in specific tune. And same here, haven't really babied it, just stayed out of boost. For the first 100 miles was going between 2000-3500rpm and now I'm going 2000-4000rpm with a couple lbs of boost.

I do plan to get a tune in a couple months. Just wanted to spread the costs out and get a couple more parts first.

Archived