LegacyGT.com

05 GT Exhaust Question

Hi All,

I have an 05 Gt and the exhaust finally started to leak between the Y (cant be too bummed out because it will have a 13th birthday in a few weeks). One of the connectors to the left muffler is also pretty much gone.

This is a daily driver for my daughters and they rarely get in to the powerband (I did upgrade to the GNR turbo, so they should :-) ), so dont need a power boost system. Any recommendations for a lower cost system? I have viewed some of the online offerings like this one from ProTuning or FRSport. I am in NH.

http://www.protuninglab.com/cbe-legacy-t2-ss-bt.html?utm_source=googlepepla&utm_medium=adwords&id=140894047498

http://www.frsport.com/Catback-Exhaust-System---05-08-Subaru-Legacy-2-5L-GT_p_457201.html?gclid=CLP6t56JrNQCFZBWDQodQsgEgw

I could also look at the used market (car-part.com) but most are for N/A Legs. I dont think the piping is the same.

Thoughts?

Thanks

I have the Pro Tuning Lab and its to loud, you can not talk inside the car. Yes its that loud.

I'm sure any cheap exhaust is that loud, If you buy it you may want to have the Vibrant ultra quiet resonator installed in the mid pipe before hand.

You can bolt the stock mufflers to the Protuninglab Y pipe if you want to.

Oh the right muffler had to be pulled to the right with a screw type hose clamp on the rubber hanger to line up the muffler tip on the bumper.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

the muffler units are still in good shape except for the flanges that are pretty much toast. Could I get these flanges welded on at a local exhaust shop? Could they make a Y pipe as well? Have never had this done. Might be the faster way to handle.

I just had the same problem on my 05. Flange actually gave up the ghost on the left side, right behind the muffler, to the extent that the muffler was hanging by the hangers only. I had a local shop cut away the flanges and replace both on either side with a section of stainless (a direct splice, basically), eliminating the flanges altogether. Cost me $75.00 + tax

The result is a more stable, elegant arrangement. The mufflers are in great shape, so when it comes time to replace them, I'll pony up for a new Y pipe, then.

In any case, find a local shop and ask them to do this. If you aren't interested in replacing the exhaust and just want a reliable, hassle-free fix, see if they can do this for you.

Best of luck!

My 08 had the same issues. Flanges on muffler connectors really rusted badly and it cracked in the y split. I ended up fixing the crack in the y with a mild steel u-bolt cut threads off and welded into the y and bent tight against the pipe crack all the way around top to bottom. Then LOTS of weld material added over the whole area. I ended up fixing and reusing the rusted flanges by adding a weld bead around the sealing surface and then I used a composite style gasket for a better seal on the imperfect surface. I had a hard time finding composite gaskets for the muffler connections so I ended up using composite header gaskets (Victor Reinz MS12392) and just cut off the unused hole A generous amount of Permatex muffler and tailpipe sealer made it seal nice and it is quiet again. Another option is to get new flanges from FX Exhaust and have them welded on.

My 08 had the same issues. Flanges on muffler connectors really rusted badly and it cracked in the y split. I ended up fixing the crack in the y with a mild steel u-bolt cut threads off and welded into the y and bent tight against the pipe crack all the way around top to bottom. Then LOTS of weld material added over the whole area. I ended up fixing and reusing the rusted flanges by adding a weld bead around the sealing surface and then I used a composite style gasket for a better seal on the imperfect surface. I had a hard time finding composite gaskets for the muffler connections so I ended up using composite header gaskets (Victor Reinz MS12392) and just cut off the unused hole A generous amount of Permatex muffler and tailpipe sealer made it seal nice and it is quiet again. Another option is to get new flanges from FX Exhaust and have them welded on.

Hey, thanks for that...https://fxexhaust.com/

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Yep, local exhaust shops can do lots of great things.

yessireee!! A while back the y-pipe over the axles rusted apart on my car.... Driver side muffler was literately pivoting up and down and dragging the tail pipe on the ground. Passenger side pipe had just s sliver of metal left to the point tapping on the muffler on the lift broke it free....

$275 and an hour later the exhaust shop fabricated a nice new piece and had the mufflers/tail pipes sitting even better than factory.

I would stop by a good local muffler shop and see what they suggest.:p

Archived