LegacyGT.com

Transmission fitment

Quick question that I need answered ASAP. Will an 06 5MT fit into my 2000 5MT? Any threads that I can look into. I've tried searching but i don't seem to get the basic answer i'm looking for. Thanks!

any ej tranny will fit on any ej motor. how much you want to spend to make it work will be the deciding factor.

your half shafts/ axles are different. on the 00 the inner joint of it is female meaning it receives another shaft from the tranny inside the inner cup of the driveshaft and is then roll pinned to hold it in place. The 06 i'm pretty sure the inner joint is male meaning it has a shaft that the transmission receives and has a little c clip the holds it in place inside the tranny.

I've been quite curious about this myself, its possible that you can find a wrecked car that has the male axle cups and swap them onto your shafts to make it work if you are unable to get the correct half shafts.

since you will need the tone ring on the outer shaft for your abs to still work i think this might be the only option, there was a guy on here that converted a newer tranny to accept the older shafts i can't find his write up but you would have to split the tranny, and that is too much work to most of use around here.

also like rumble was saying check those tranny numbers and at least make sure the final drive is the same.

What do you mean by Tranny number and final drive? Any thread I can go and read up on that? And the transmission I'm looking at was an 05 not an 06. My bad on the misinformation.

the stickyies down in the transmission section are good reads this is a good one..

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/transmission-gear-ratios-and-final-drives-229267.html

and here is an expanded version, usdm and older cars are towards the bottom if remember right

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/transmission-gear-ratios-and-final-drives-229267.html

• 3 weeks later...
Another quick question. My father went ahead and bought a 96 legacy transmission for a very good price. I can't find any info on the 96 legacy Final drive. Can someone direct me to the right place?

If it does work out and you find out it's a match don't just get rid of your old tranny right away, you'll need the hardware of of it.

If i' m not mistaken it's a cable clutch instead of hydraulic it will still work you just have to swap some stuff around.

If it does work out and you find out it's a match don't just get rid of your old tranny right away, you'll need the hardware of of it.

If i' m not mistaken it's a cable clutch instead of hydraulic it will still work you just have to swap some stuff around.

It's not going to work. The 96 is a Phase 1 transmission. The bell housing bolts are different and I believe the harness is different too.

how bad would it be do you think?

a few unused bolt holes, different speedo cable and sensor, Reverse switch and neutral switch but they should bolt together right? people have ran Phase 1 bolcks(just the block) on phase 2 tranny's its not the same bell house but doesn't it still bolt up. if your desprete. but doesn't sound fun.f

I have a Phase 1 block in my car right now from a 97 and I have a Phase 2 transmission. The car is a 99, so the block was Phase 2 but the heads were Phase 1 (Subaru's frankenmotor). Weird year, but I've studied the conversion process very extensively. The Phase 1 transmission has a stud for the starter instead of a passthrough bolt like the phase 2. The bellhousing will mate up just fine to the motor, just make sure your alignment studs are in the right place. The reverse harness, neutral switch, and speed sensors are different. You'll need to transfer them over from the old transmission to the new one. When I referred to the harness, I thought you were talking about the auto transmission swap, I noticed you said manual after the fact.

Archived