LegacyGT.com

Engine swap

Hey guys!! I'm in the hunt for a low mileage engine for my Legacy. It's a 2007 Special Edition N/A 2.5L automatic 147K miles. I've been dealing with bubbles in the coolant resovoir for a month. After a new Radiator, OEM rad cap and OEM T-stat and then TB w/new water pump & tensioners ......I'm done dropping money into the engine.

The HG were done by the dealer at around 70K and then I had them done again at 135K by my buddy who has worked on Subarus at the used car dealership he works at. I could of worked on HG's myself but I was going on Vacation so I had my friend do it. I'm not a certified mechanic but I've tooled around with cars for 30 years and have done swaps on Toyotas, Hondas, Mazdas Mitsubishis and of course Chevy V8's. I've had my share of headaches and busted knuckles.

Looking at my engine bay it seems pretty much straight forward but I'm wondering if there are any special tools or any tricks of the trade I should know of. My buddy says I should have no problem but he says depending on what car year I get the new engine from the intake manifold has to come off because it's an automatic. That seemed odd to me,but thats not a big deal.

What engine years can I use? 06 to 09? The 6th digit of my VIN is 6, so does that mean any SOHC EJ25 block w/AVCS after 2005 can be used?

Thanks in advance

It's a 2.5i, just get a junk yard motor, have the heads rebuilt, have the block decks resurfaced and drop it in.

Call ARP and see if they make head studs for the engine.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived