LegacyGT.com

For Stuttering Legacy GTs After ECU Reflash

rubbercow

What is the status of your stuttering?  

67 members have voted

1. 1. What is the status of your stuttering?

• Oops, this isn't the thread for me, I don't have stuttering.
    • 2005 with stuttering - pre-ECU-fix.
    • 2005 with stuttering - post-ECU-fix.
    • 2005 with stuttering - post-ECU-fix - have notified SOA/SOJ.
    • 2006 with stuttering.

I will take care of this tomorrow. We should share our set of threads with them so they can read our problems for themselves. What do you guys think?

You should probably post this in the thread with the Poll, as well.

Very true about the forums issue. And sadly, it's been asshats on forums that have caused the problem. Especially in the WRX crowd. I have a pretty strong relationship with my dealer, so they've been candid about it. Basically, they have had several WRX owners print off every TSB out for the car and want all of the work done regardless of whether their car is affected. Like a bad batch of clutches for the WRX for which a TSB was put out ... apparently tons of people tried to use that as ammunition for a new clutch.

Lame.

So sadly, in a sense, we've brought it upon ourselves because the morons have ruined it for those of us who really only care about what isn't right. :(

Thanks for all the insight into this stuttering issue , I thought my only option was going to be getting rid of a car that I love to drive. Had my 05 legacy in twice with this complaint only to be told you must avoid amoco and you change gear at the wrong time. So I found your site on Saturday night, educated myself , took Monday off to contact Subaru and my dealer, finally was told their is an ECU overwrite if my vehicle conforms to the issue. So I will take in next week and pray for a corrective countermeasure that works.

No doubt in my mind Subaru have a engine mapping quality issue that was inherant at introduction of this model and have been struggling to resolve it , but only those customers that are mechanically inclined realize "this is not right".

Will let you know the results... Thanks again.

Just called SOA...case #814072. Supposed to hear back from them some time tomorrow. My car is also at the dealership right now being checked out after getting the ECU reflashed last Wednesday. The stuttering is significantly less than before but still very noticeable when stuck in rush hour traffic.

Thanks for all the insight into this stuttering issue , I thought my only option was going to be getting rid of a car that I love to drive. Had my 05 legacy in twice with this complaint only to be told you must avoid amoco and you change gear at the wrong time. So I found your site on Saturday night, educated myself , took Monday off to contact Subaru and my dealer, finally was told their is an ECU overwrite if my vehicle conforms to the issue. So I will take in next week and pray for a corrective countermeasure that works.

No doubt in my mind Subaru have a engine mapping quality issue that was inherant at introduction of this model and have been struggling to resolve it , but only those customers that are mechanically inclined realize "this is not right".

Will let you know the results... Thanks again.

Do a search and do not get your hopes up. The SOA reflash, by all accounts from members of this community, helps but does NOT eliminate the stutter. We've all had the high hopes you now have ..only to be disappointed. So, expect a bit of improvement but not elimination of the problem. And please, don't flame the messenger :icon_surp

05 SWP Legacy GT Limited (aka "Pearl")- 5MT AP - Stage 2 Protuned (238/284) - wife driven

07 BMW 335xi

I can only hope that everyday the Subaru engineers are working towards the total resolution for this issue, its sounds like currently they are trying to suffice the issue with a software change band aid while they develop and test the real fix ( we hope), that they will only want to do once.

• 2 weeks later...
I just called SOA as post flash I definitely still have the problem. The guy wasn't terribly useful, basically saying they'll log it in their database. We'll see what my dealership has to say when I bring it in again soon.

• 1 year later...

Has anyone tried the range of Cobb reflashes to verify their effect on the stutter issue?

I am fighting with the 05 I just bought, previous owner had it reflashed but it still does it, more so when cold and partial throttle.

Had right rear wheel bearing replaced, now parking brake does not work on that wheel.

Right front control arm bushing is ripped so I get a rattle when going over uneven terrain.

Anyone else have this issue?

im not sure if i have this or not, but i get a new ECM installed on monday. I'm guessing i'll get the new flash.

If i have additional questions I'll post here and/or give SOA a call.

car for sale. PM me!

Since this has been brought back from the dead and I wrote above that the reflash did not help me, I might as well provide an update that I've provided elsewhere. My stutter was cured more than a year ago when my throttle body was replaced under warranty. If my car wasn't stalling while coasting to a stop in neutral in cold weather, I doubt it would have been tracked down and replaced. In any case, I'm about 14 months stutter free, which sure beats the first 10 months.

Spoke with dealer in West Palm Beach today, explained my situation. All the previous work was done in VA, says if it is still surging, they will install a new ECU.

He also told me that it is covered under the 8/80 warranty for emission control.

I also told him about the bushing and he said he's never seen that. To answer the question about the lemon, its not mine, but it seems mine fell from the same branch of that lemon tree. VIN ends in 042 and it is silver.

Newbie here... I've been reading these posts since buying a '05 LGT wagon last week. Thought I'd share my experience here... Picked up the car at a local dealership here in Colorado last Wednesday. Thursday morning I noticed the fan was running from the time I first started the car in the morning and again when I went to lunch. Did some research that afternoon and found out my car had the recall on the fan relay. Set up an appointment with the dealer to bring the car in on Monday for the recalled and also mentioned that it was studdering. Yesterday they informed me that they replaced the relay and the ECM however, they wanted to keep the car to look into the studdering. Just got a call back today... They're gonna keep it longer because they still can't figure it out. I've mention this site to them and all the posts I've been reading on this issue and they just keep telling me they are working with the tech line for a solution. Who knows? Bottom line... New fan relay, new ECM... car still studders even with a new computer installed. This is not a good Subi first impression for me. Having second thoughts about trading my Audi in for this car now. Especially since I've been a diehard VW/Audi fanatic for years.:spin:

It's now Friday and I still haven't gotten my car back since taking it in on Monday. The dealership said the regional rep will be in today to check it out. This is crazy!

Archived