LegacyGT.com

Airgap A/C Compressor Clutch- Shims?

Okay so.. insta-cliffs

-Pulley popped off

-Destroyed connector to magnet part of clutch

-Bought junkyard A/C Compressor with clutch

-Swapped and installed Junkyard Clutch..

A/C still does not work.

Now.. I used the same amount of washers (2) but for some reason when installing, the gap between the front clutch plate and the back thick back-plate is definitely more than what it should be ( correct me if im wrong but I remember 0.007" to 0.017" )

I feel like if I remove 1 washer, there will be no Air-gap.

I am a machinist so I will make a single shim that hits the tolerance?

Does this make sense or am I wasting my time lol

Thanks

Clearance is around 0.017"

I would take off all washers and add one at a time til the clutch stops rubbing usually only 2 washers will achieve this.(could be different thickness start with the thickest one first.)

By the time you are done you should be able to stick 3 sheets of paper in between.

But i think you may have other problems.

Make sure the coil is good on the compressor apply power/ground too it the clutch should pull in.

If it does then you have to work backwards in tracing why the car isnt engaging it.

Could be bad relay, blown fuse for the compressor, could be low on refrigerant. or bad wire.

Okay so I applied 12v to the compressor, and the clutch engaged! Awesome..

Now I am back tracking.. How do i test the A/C Relay? bought a multi-meter today and I had no idea what I was doing with testing the relay lol

The 15a fuse inside the car( next to drivers left knee ) is not blown

I bought an AC PRO thing a couple months ago because I thought I was low on fluid, and the pressure gauge when connected to the low pressure valve was in the red ( saying that there is more mantainence to be done )

maxresdefault.jpg

But is that a pressure gauge as well? Does that tell me I have a pressurized system?

Any other spots to test?

You should only plug it into the low side (above turbo). If you plug it into the high side while the compressor is running you're likely to blow the can up.

My relay bench tested fine, but both the internal and external contacts were so mangled that it wouldn't work in the car. I think it's the same size as the fog light relay under the dash, you can swap that one over and see if it works.

Ether way, relay is sub $5 at the dealer.

Start the car up with the a/c on now test for power at the plug should be reading over 12V + if its got none then goto the a/c relay and remove the relay out and some how connect terminals 1/2 together (thick paper clip works).

When terminals 1/2 are jumped on the fuse box that should engage the compressor. If it still doesn't that means either the fuse is blown or the the wiring has issues.

My 2008 Legacy 2.5i has 2 wires The light green wire is 12+ and the black is ground. not sure if its same on yours.

Also test the ground wire with the car off or on with the black led of your meter on the ground wire @ compressor and your red led to the battery terminal positive it should red 12+.

Theres still more to test let me know how this goes.

Start the car up with the a/c on now test for power at the plug(which plug?) should be reading over 12V + if its got none then goto the a/c relay and remove the relay out and some how connect terminals 1/2 together (thick paper clip works). Where is terminal 1/2 on the relay?

When terminals 1/2 are jumped on the fuse box that should engage the compressor. If it still doesn't that means either the fuse is blown or the the wiring has issues.

My 2008 Legacy 2.5i has 2 wires The light green wire is 12+ and the black is ground. not sure if its same on yours. Are you talking about the two wires going to the coil of the clutch? mine are blue and black

Also test the ground wire with the car off or on with the black led of your meter on the ground wire @ compressor and your red led to the battery terminal positive it should red 12+. I will test this

Theres still more to test let me know how this goes.

Shes all fixed now

I had two problems with my A/C system at once so it was very confusing!

Problem one.. I had a very very slow A/C leak that I did not know about ( my buddies shop did a 20 minute suction and held at 24.9psi, the machine did not even notice a leak )

and Problem two was when my belt came off and destroyed the coil connection ( replaced with junkyard part )

I must have been just below the threshold of the freon pressure switch... they filled it up and now I have A/C

Thankyou for all the help guys!... In the long run, I spent 150$... compared to $600-700 A/C fix at a shop... feel great

Archived