LegacyGT.com

Car submerged in water for 5 days

the engine is good and 3 out of 4 valves were closed. The other had water.

I pulled the transmission pan and it was water and atf. No sand.

So unless upper portions of the tranny has sand stuck in it that'll be an issue.

But I don't think there is.

Which leaves electronics; automotic tranny controller module, ecu, maybe air bag, illumination control module, speedo, and what else?

It was under 4.5 feet of water for 2 weeks. I have nothing else in life to do than fix it, so what should I be doing?

Holy crap that's not fun. Honestly if it were my car, I'd look to do a shell swap or something, even if you get it running again, it'll surely be plagued with little problems but if the body was good, I'd find a donor with a horrible body and then I'd put the good power train and electrical harnesses into the submarine subie

I have a 97 impreza hatchback I can take parts from but it doesn't have an engine or tranny.. Manual tranny that is, so it's not like my old audi where I can program it to auto or manual.. Parts have to go straight across correct?. I've thought about swapping the harness over, but I'm not worried about that portion... That's just wires and modules I have that won't work. I'm most concerned if my 5ft of water tranny just being drained will work. My budget is 0$. I already have diff, atf, oil, and a shit ton of dielectric grease. From what I can tell everything in the engine bay has rubber 'grommets' inside the connections.

I definitely don't want gremlins! But its this car or a 110% illegal 47 lifted willys truck that are my only options and I've already gotten pulled over in the truck ticket free, so subaru it..... Hopefully is :p

Modules are my concern. I think finding a pdf is my best bet. I had a paper one in my trunk... But it's... Goo.

Also everyone I've asked had no idea what happens when a car gets submerged with the battery connected. Does it blow all the fuses or is the energy dissipated from all the water?

I realize it's likely my opinions and suggestions are just a bunch of guesses without trying. Thanks for any input though!

Maf is surely dead. What would you expect the injectors to be like? I don't know squat about the internal materials of them. Also I've never pulled a dash to see what's back there... I know there isn't 250 modules. Just worrying right? I bought the car for 250$ so it's not like I'm trying to revive a jdm sti or anything.

It's gonna sound stupid, but don't justys have carburated.... Ej20's? Or they were even before ej series existed. I will look into that if you guys just wanna give some input on that. I don't need a speedo. Just temp gauge. That's well beyond my 0$ budget.

Ohhh and the body is beat to crap from the previous owner. I'm just hoping to get away with swapping like 5 modules. I have noticed same year both auto's the ecu and AT module have different letters and numbers. If it connects in it should work? Maybe? I looked for months at pull n save for a new ecu from the same year car and they never matched up. Would that be so to cali emissions or something like that?

Most likely the main fuse blew and it SHOULD have protected the rest of the wiring, but I'm sure lots of other things fried too, since the car isn't instantly immersed all at the same time, the things that got wet first will have fried and then it'll keep frying stuff until the fusible link/main fuse pops which will cut all power to the car. But now there is water under all of the wire insulation so you'll have lots of issues with corrosion inside the wire housings, so although it'll look in good order, if you split the wire protection off, I almost guarantee you'll find corrosion in there. So it's best to get scrap that harness and find a new one.

Dang. Okay. I thought they were truly insulated end to end. I'm looking around online right now, but would 97 impreza wires work if I spliced in different styles for the ecu. I shouldn't even ask. That's headache status.

Simpler question would a 2ng genwagon harness work? Mines a sedan. I can't imagine there much of a difference if any. That's also a headache. I need to find another 250$ sedan that just has a bad maf :p

I'm pretty sure most of the wiring will work from impreza to legacy, the impreza is a smaller car though so you may run into issues with wires being too short. Also are the cars both from the same generation? As in, both from 97-99 and are they both close to the same option pack? As in both Brighton or both L? If one is a Brighton then that harness will have a lot less to it so it would require more work to modify it.

Archived