LegacyGT.com

5th gen legacy 2010 2.5i stalls out when breaking or slowing down.

Hello all,

I hit 150k on my 5th gen legacy automatic. About 3 mo ago, it started to stall out when I came to a hard stop. And slowing starting stalling out when I slowly came to a stop. It would happen intermittently. Took it in and they ran a diagnostic at the dealer and everything checked ok. Still happening, I took it to another mechanic and the car checked out.

What are these mechanics missing? What are they not checking other than my car!?!?

Thanks in advanced! Still love my subie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess you missed all of the threads where people had them replaced only to have the transmission fail again at a later date.

Yes we did. Can you post them up...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the replies!! I've been reading through the archive of notes about this situation. I haven't found the part where people needed to replace the gen1 cvt tranny on the 5thgens yet. Still reading. And of course the dealer says they can't replicate what I'm talking about. Well I says to them, did you try taking it out for a spin? Crickets...

Side note: so if this issue ends up being too costly...I am a huge fan of the gen5 look do I look for a used gen5 lgt or do I go 5th gen 3.6 and if so does the 3.6 come in manual?

The 3.6R only comes with an automagic (not CVT) transmission. The LGT only comes in manual. If you're even considering moving to a LGT, I suggest you start looking immediately to get an idea of the conditions and prices available. The number of cars being available has been picking up lately as people begin looking to replacing their 5-7 year old car, but they're still pretty rare.

The 3.6R only comes with an automagic (not CVT) transmission. The LGT only comes in manual. If you're even considering moving to a LGT, I suggest you start looking immediately to get an idea of the conditions and prices available. The number of cars being available has been picking up lately as people begin looking to replacing their 5-7 year old car, but they're still pretty rare.

I've been looking! There are none in Cali for sale. Colorado and Florida are the 2 places that have some lgt for sale. They all have 80k more miles. Wanted to know if a 5th 3.6 was worth it or should I go all out for the lgt?

I've been looking! There are none in Cali for sale. Colorado and Florida are the 2 places that have some lgt for sale. They all have 80k more miles. Wanted to know if a 5th 3.6 was worth it or should I go all out for the lgt?

Depends completely on you and what is important to you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Just to be clear: it is not like LGT has a no issues record. Search and you shall find. Not really discouraging the move but realize that both cars can develop issues and you might be switching one set of issues for the other.

Not to mention that you are likely going to be unable to get rid of the current car if it is stalling at every stop so you'll need to replace the torque converter anyway (you are looking at about $2000, I think, unless you can get Subaru to go 50:50 with you).

Our Legacy has been developing this also but its not there quite yet. I am waiting for it to stall one more time (it keeps threatening to) when I'll have to addressed.

Just to be clear: it is not like every other car model on the planet has a no issues record. Search and you shall find. Not really discouraging the move but realize that both cars can develop issues and you might be switching one set of issues for the other.

ftfy.

Just to be clear: it is not like LGT has a no issues record. Search and you shall find. Not really discouraging the move but realize that both cars can develop issues and you might be switching one set of issues for the other.

Not to mention that you are likely going to be unable to get rid of the current car if it is stalling at every stop so you'll need to replace the torque converter anyway (you are looking at about $2000, I think, unless you can get Subaru to go 50:50 with you).

Our Legacy has been developing this also but its not there quite yet. I am waiting for it to stall one more time (it keeps threatening to) when I'll have to addressed.

It is the torque converter and 2k to fix!!

Thanks for all the replies...what reallly matters to me is the functional hood scoop. That's all I really want in addition to having a rad car. I feel like such a poser if I had a non functioning hood scoop. Opinions?

Archived