LegacyGT.com

Replacement Tire size difference

So a cotter pin made its way into my wife's tire last night.

Can't find anything in the manual and as far as I remember up 1/4 inch difference was allowable.

I just can't find any confirmation that is still the case. I found older posts for older models confirming it, but I'd like to find something confirming for our years.

Help?

I couldn't find anything in my manual or Service Manual either (It could be in the service manual, but I haven't been able to located it). In the place in the service manual I have found specification, Subaru say the tires need to be equal. In the past, Subaru has allowed 1/4" circumference which is just ~1.3/32 tread wear difference.

That's about how much Tirerack will do it for if you order your tire from them. They just need to know the thread depth of your existing tires.

Thing is, when you need one tire only it's usually an emergency, not something you order from tire rack and wait for.

I wonder if it would be at all useful to have a sticky with tire shavers listed by state that we can contribute too.

This way if you happen to be traveling and need this done, we have a resource.

I had the luxury of patience. I noticed a bulge on a winter tire as I was swapping to my summer shoes. If I recall, fixing the wheel (which took some minor damage) took a bit longer then getting the tire, but I still had everything back within a few days.

Archived