LegacyGT.com

2010 LGT getting stuck in gear intermittently

Hi All,

My car is coming up on 100k miles and things have actually been working pretty well recently. For whatever reason (none of this has never happened prior to today) it has been giving me all sorts of transmission-related grief. I have had trouble shifting into 1st, even while stopped. Additionally, the 2 -> 3 shift is notchier than normal. While I was heading back to work from a client site on the interstate, it got stuck in 6th gear and wouldn't come out until I turned the car off. Maybe I could've forced it, but didn't - I was right by my exit anyways. After getting it out of gear and starting back up, it got stuck in second. Because it was much lower speed, I did force it out of second (with the clutch all the way in of course). Through all of this, while the car is in gear it is functioning perfectly and I am not getting any grinds, the shifter just straight up won't move intermittently and/or gives grief shifting between lower gears.

I am running Motul 300/LWSP at about 50/50 and it was changed probably 5000 miles ago. The fluid level is perfect and the fluid looks and smells basically like new.

I have a Boomba SSA, Perrin shifter bushing and shift stop, sti tranny mount, and whiteline tranny crossmember bushines, but none of these parts have been installed recently.

It seems like it would be related to the linkage, and I guess that is where I will start under the car tomorrow to check. Any other thoughts? Has anyone had this happen before?

Thanks!

The clutch feels perfect. It is definitely disengaging because the RPMs drop down to idle. When I let the clutch out slowly, it went right back up to cruising RPM in 6th gear. It was disconcerting but I maintained enough speed that it wasn't that big a deal. I tried it several times in a row, so I probably pushed the clutch in and let it out 6-7 times and each time the RPMs dropped but it was stuck in gear. Then I exited, slowed to a stop, turned the car off, and it popped right out of 6th as if nothing was wrong.

With the engine off, it does seem to shift perfectly.

Update:

I guess I am under the assumption that when I forced it out of second earlier, I forced something free. On the drive home from work it took about an hour total and included a bunch of stop/go as well as some 6th gear, and it performed completely normal, or maybe even a bit better-than. I hope it was something caught in the linkage rather than something more severe, but I guess I won't worry too much if it doesn't happen again. I'll be under the car a bit tomorrow and will have a quick look just to see if anything looks awry.

Thanks!

Make sure the cable that operates with the side to side motion isn't the issue either, when you disconnect the linkage to add parts just give the shifter a thorough moving around out of its normal range.

wrxwhit had a similar issue IIRC, he was either getting stuck in or locked out of gears, or had the cable bind and then snap. He replaced the cable and everything was smooth. Another member had the shifter housing itself start to crack, locking him in or out of gears because it was getting stuck. He replaced the shifter.

wrxwhit had a similar issue IIRC, he was either getting stuck in or locked out of gears, or had the cable bind and then snap. He replaced the cable and everything was smooth. Another member had the shifter housing itself start to crack, locking him in or out of gears because it was getting stuck. He replaced the shifter.

Thanks! I did some searching prior to the post, but that is helpful to know that others have experienced the same/similar issues and how they resolved it.

The problem did come back today, but only for about 2 shifts throughout the day. I suspect eventually one of these problems will fully manifest and it'll fail conclusively. For now, it is super intermittent.

Archived