LegacyGT.com

Clutch issue or Tranny Fluid?

Brady

About a month ago I had the transmission fluid changed in my 2005 5mt. It seemed to be shifting smoother at first, but now it seems it's getting harder and harder to get into gear. They had changed the fluid previously with no issues.

First thought is that they may have not have used the correct fluid, but now I'm wondering if there's something going on with my clutch.

On my drive to work this morning, there were times the transmission shifted smoothly, then later, it was a nightmare and struggled to get it into any gear.

I also noticed last night that on a very shallow angle (garage) if the clutch is all the way in and I try to put the car into first, pressure of pushing the gear lever forward to first would hold the car from rolling backwards in the garage. Let go and the car rolls back naturally again.

I'm wondering if the clutch is not fully disengaging at times.

Anyone else run into this? Other ideas?

Take it back and have them check the fluid level in the clutch master cylinder, may be re-bleed the system.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Thanks for the response. I've looked at the fluid in the master cylinder. The fluid does sit just above the max fill line even when cool, so I do wonder if there might be air in the system and if maybe as the car warms up the clutch is not depressing fully. It seems that it gets harder to drive over time.

The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced it has something to do with this and less likely that it's something to do with the transmission fluid. When it isn't hard to engage, it seems the gears snick right into place, and when it gets hard, it really starts to feel like I'm shifting without depressing the clutch.

Sounds like when the clutch is cold, it works fine, but when the flywheel, disk and pressure plate get hot, they expand and make shifting difficult. My guess would be failing pressure plate fingers and you'll need a new clutch soon.

Clutch was replaced about 45000 miles back, so I hope the pressure plate isn't failing. I wouldn't necessarily say that it's when the clutch is cold. I was thinking more about it and realized I couldn't get it in gear this morning, but then it seemed like it "just started working" normally for a while.

I'll keep an eye on it for a couple days and share if I notice any more trends.

Thanks for the responses!

Edit/Update: Definitely sporadic! When I left work, first it was smooth, then about 3-4 blocks later it got hard to shift, then returned to working normally the rest of my drive. Very weird, and a little frustrating!

Archived