LegacyGT.com

Another clunking question(s)

Leftcoast_LGT

This may have been talked about before but if so I can't find it. Sometimes when I'm coasting in first gear I hear a loud clunk, hard enough to shake the car a little. I've noticed it happens most at low speed coasting (first gear, with or without breaking) in traffic. It's also seems like it happens more when im coasting down a slight decline. What could this be and how can I fix it?

I also get a clunk when I try to revmatch/blimp down into second most of the time. I don't get this sound when I drop into any other gear. I really enjoy revmatching/blimping and I never used hear this clunking sound before. Btw, I do have a hex mod valve body that's been installed for over a year but only started to hear the sound in the last few months. I hope the answer to this one isn't "stop revmatchig/blimping" but if it is, I'd rather give that up then having to replace my 5eat.

Why are you downshifting like you have a 5mt, you have a 5eat which is an automatic transmission.

I'm no expert on automatic's but I have not heard people doing that.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

He said he's blimping, but he should definitely be semi rigid derigibleing.

And yes, you shouldn't be trying to rev match. If you're going to use the tranny to downshift, let it do so on its own without trying to add another throttle input. If you're using the shifter buttons, fine, but don't try to rev match. The ECU/TCU are tied together, so it will do its thing all on its own.

I blimp because it makes downshifting smoother and sounds great with my exhaust, but like I said if its going to hurt my tranny it's not worth continueing to do it.

I'm more concerned with my first question regarding a clunk I hear when slowly coasting in first gear. Does anyone know what this could be?

If it shakes the car, I'd say a bushing is bad.

Find a good alignment shop and have them check out the rear suspension.

These cars are known for sway bar end links, but they won't make the car shake when you hear them.

You can normally hear end links, rolling over cracks in the driveway.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

If it shakes the car, I'd say a bushing is bad.

Find a good alignment shop and have them check out the rear suspension.

These cars are known for sway bar end links, but they won't make the car shake when you hear them.

You can normally hear end links, rolling over cracks in the driveway.

Thanks for the feed back. You right, I definitely need new bushings and have been looking to buy some in the very near future. I don't think the sound I'm hearing is suspetion related though. The clunk is very solid, it makes me think of gears hitting. I forgot to mention, it only happens when im in sportshifter mode in first gear around 5-10mph.

If its gears in the rear diff...you may want to pull the fill plug stick your finger in the fluid and see what it looks like.

FWIW, my wagon still has the bushings the rear came with.

I've noticed it happens most at low speed coasting (first gear, with or without breaking) in traffic. It's also seems like it happens more when im coasting down a slight decline.

What size are your wheels and tires?

Archived