LegacyGT.com

Another EJ22 timing equipment question

When assembling a 98 EJ22,after repairing the crank keyway and replacing some idlers and the crank gear and pulley, I find the existing timing belt marks do not coincide with the cam/crank marks. The belt looks ok, still has the timing marks, but has it stretched? If I set the engine so the crank/cam pulley marks are right, the passenger side cam belt mark is retarded a tooth....telling me the belt is too long....

Also, how far does the tensioner plunger extend? Does it only travel 1/4" in extension? The existing one seems rather unimpressive from a mechanical engineering perspective...the whole belt train seems a bit flaccid..from a stretched belt or a weak tensioner or both? When I hand turn the crank, there's some lag and slack in the system. Not like a geartrain is it?

When in doubt...throw it out, eh? New belt and new tensioner.

Also... correctly torque the crank bolt to keep the pulley, gear from whippng around...I suspect that's what killed the keyway.

The belt might be stretched and the tensioner may be starting to become weak, especially if you say the idler pulley plunger is extended 1/4". When I did the timing belt service on my EJ25 and pulled the plunger, the tensioner barely moved a 1/16" and it was tight. I'd replace the belt and the tensioner.

Yes get a new belt. I did my ej22t belt a couple months ago and the belt was stretching at least 1/2 a cm from the new one. But I find the stock belts always have trash markings on them so yours may not be stretched. And most belts are like a notch off also. And I don't know if im too tired and reading it wrong but it sounds like your saying the tensioner can move easy or something? If that's the case get a new one.

If possible get a ej22t it is closed deck and no interference valves. also easy to slap on a sti turbo and inter cooler apparently.

You act like the EJ22T is very obtainable :lol: . I've been hunting one down for almost 3 years. Can't find one even in rebuildable condition. Everyone who has one wants to keep it. :spin:

You act like the EJ22T is very obtainable :lol: . I've been hunting one down for almost 3 years. Can't find one even in rebuildable condition. Everyone who has one wants to keep it. :spin:

Really? Damn I bought my entire car w/ ej22t for 1000$. Its my first car even and the dude had no idea how valuable the engine was.

You act like the EJ22T is very obtainable . I've been hunting one down for almost 3 years. Can't find one even in rebuildable condition. Everyone who has one wants to keep it.

PS Colorado has thousands of subaru's I know you could find one here. If you want I can ask around and see.

Northern AZ is a haven for Subaru's due to snow and I can't find a single one in a 150 mile radius. I know a guy locally who has 2 complete lower ends and he's not giving them up at any reasonable cost. I offered him $500 for just the block halves and he said no.

PS Colorado has thousands of subaru's I know you could find one here. If you want I can ask around and see.

I just want a complete short block that is able to be rebuilt. I am going to use my own top end.

Archived